Rosemary Tea can be made using rosemary leaves, which can be dried or fresh. Today I will see how to make rosemary tea and use it for improvement of memory, weight loss, moods, and cold/flu. This tea can be used as a hair rinse for hair growth. Being a herb, rosemary benefits can also be derived from its use in cooking food – for making seasonings such as Garam masala.
Rosemary plant belongs to the Lamiaceae family of plants, together with the oregano plant, mint, lemon balm, and basil.
The benefits of using rosemary can be from the essential oil, the extract, or drinking rosemary tea. Here are the benefits of rosemary tea:
- It is high in antioxidants and therefore protects the body from damage caused by free radicals which can lead to cancer, heart diseases, or diabetes.
- Rosemary has antimicrobial effects and can help fight infections.
- It also has anti-inflammatory compounds such as rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid. Drinking it can help fight lung problems and also fight cold or flu. Rosemary oil can be massaged on the body for inflammatory conditions such as arthritis.
- May help lower your blood sugar, therefore it is good for people with diabetes. It contains carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid which have insulin-like effects on blood sugar.
- Helps improve your mood and memory caused by stress and anxiety. To get this benefit, drink rosemary tea twice daily for 1 month: it will significantly reduce anxiety, improve your sleep, and moods.
- It helps support brain health; drinking this tea helps protect the brain cells from damage as well as from neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- May protect vision and eye health
- It can also promote digestion, therefore it is used for treating indigestion.
- You can add lemon to rosemary tea to boost weight loss because rosemary can prevent weight gain.
- Promotes hair growth when rosemary tea is used as a hair rinse.
How to make rosemary tea at home
It is very easy to make at home with your stove or microwave. To make rosemary tea:
- Use a handful of rosemary leaves; wash the leaves thoroughly and make sure they are clean. You can also use the dried rosemary leaves also.
- Add 2 cups of water to a pot and turn on the flame. Allow it to boil for 10 minutes before you put off the flame. You can also use a tea infuser and steep them for 5–10 minutes.
- Strain the rosemary leaves using a strainer and add any sweetener of choice. Using honey helps to improve the antibacterial effects of rosemary tea and therefore helps fight infections. other sweeteners such as sugarcane juice, agave syrup, or sugar can still be used.
- Pour it into a mug and enjoy.
How to use rosemary tea for memory and mood
The aroma of rosemary tea can simply be inhaled to improve your memory and mood; you can drink the tea which helps to improve eyesight as well as the memory.
Drinking this tea also prevents oxidative damage that can lead to numerous chronic diseases, because it is high in antioxidants.
These benefits of rosemary can also be gotten by the use of rosemary essential oil or the extract.
Rosemary side effects
Drinking rosemary tea while taking some drugs is bad for your health. Some of these drugs include anticoagulants (blood-thinning drugs), ACE inhibitors (for high blood pressure), diuretics (which help your body get rid of extra fluid by increasing urination), and lithium. The effects of these drugs can be potentiated by taking this tea because it has similar effects as these drugs.