I will show you the easy way on how to make jar cake at home with chocolates. This easy layered mason jar cake recipe can be packaged and wrapped with a ribbon as a gift for birthdays or any celebration. You can use a mason jar that has a handle, but I am using the one without a handle. When making this cake recipe, the mason jar cover can be used to cut the cake instead of a cookie-cutter.
Ingredients for making mason jar cake
- All-purpose flour. You can use any flour of choice, whether it is corn flour, almond flour, etc
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 cup of heavy cream, or any cream of choice (to make the frosting for jar cake)
- Chocolate bars or chips or 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil, or butter
- Crush cashew nut
- Grated coconut chips; you can use almond nuts or hazelnut. The toppings for the cake is dependent on you.
Items needed for making the chocolate jar cake recipe at home
- A pan for baking the cake
- Ribbon for mason jar cake decoration
- Mason jar
- Piping bag and nozzle
How to make layered cakes at home in a mason jar
- Sieve your dried ingredients: flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Use a hand whisk or any kitchen tool to mix to combine.
- Add your baking powder, and baking soda and mix to combine.
- You now have to make a batter for your jar cake: to do this, break the egg and use only the egg white first, you will use the egg yolk later.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg yolk and granulated sugar and whisk to become fluffy and then add vanilla flavor and whisk again to combine.
- Now start adding your cocoa powder and flour mixture into the fluffy whisked egg.
- Add a little flour mixture at a time and keep stirring until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease your baking pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and pour in the cake batter.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 25 minutes
- When ready, the baked cake is spongy and a fork can go through it easily without sticking to the body of the fork.
- Use the cover or lid of the mason jar and cut the cake into small round cakes that can fit into the mason jar.
- If your cake is too big, you can slice into two halves.
Making whipped cream for jar cake toppings
Into a mixing bowl, add 1 cup of heavy cream or light cream, and whip beat until you have whipped cream. It will be used as a cake topping or frosting for our jar cake. You can add chocolate ganache to this cream if you love it.
Making the layered jar cakes
- First, place the cut cake into the jar and make it lay on the bottom of the mason jar. The cut cakes are soft, therefore, you can squeeze them through the opening of the jar.
- You can start adding the toppings; I used chocolate syrup. I simply mixed the cocoa powder with sugar and warm water to form the syrup.
- After every layer of cake, add a tablespoon of cocoa syrup, then add your whipped cream on the cut cake, then sprinkle your crushed nuts. I made alternating layers of crushed cashew nut with grated coconut.
- After topping with the nuts, add the next layer of cake again, followed by your cocoa or chocolate syrup, then whipped cream layer, then nuts or fruit layers. You will continue stacking the cakes in layers until the whole mason jar is filled to the top. If you want to completely cover it, just fill it to the brim. The last cake layer should contain the creamy topping and the nuts together.
- Your layered chocolate jar cake recipe is ready.
If you are making the cake as a gift, wrap with a ribbon and seal it before presenting it. After making your jar cake, you can cover with the mason jar lid and refrigerate or you can enjoy it right away.
There are different flavors of Jar cakes, I used vanilla flavor. In my next cake recipe, I will be making different flavors.