You will see the easy way on how to make heavy cream at home using fresh raw milk. All you need to make Heavy Cream is fresh organic raw milk. You can use powdered milk, evaporated milk, or condensed milk that is full fat.
Table of Contents
What is Heavy Cream?
Heavy cream is also known as Heavy whipping cream because it is a type of whipping cream that contains high fat and therefore it is called ‘Heavy cream’. The amount of fat in this type of cream is higher than that in light cream. If you have fresh liquid organic milk at home, it is best you make your own homemade heavy cream for your baking recipes or cooking.
How to make heavy cream
To make this type of cream at home, you need organic fresh milk as your only ingredient. You could use cow milk, buffalo milk, goat milk, or any milk you want.
- Pour your fresh milk into a pot and place on the heat and allow it to start boiling; stir the milk as it boils on the flame.
- Do not move away because milk can boil over and pour on the floor; also do not cover the pot while boiling your milk.
- The process of boiling helps to release the fats and cream from the milk; making the fats lighter and therefore moves to the top during boiling. Also, boiling gets rid of microorganisms in the milk.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and allow it to cool for some minutes before taking it into the fridge or freezer for faster cooling. If you don’t have a fridge or freezer, you can place it in a cool place but it will take a longer time for the boiled milk to cool down and form cream. A fridge or freezer makes it faster.
- When placed in the fridge or freezer, it can take 2 to 4 hours for the cream to form on top of the milk.
- After 4 hours, you will see a thick creamy layer formed on the milk, this is your homemade heavy whipping cream.
- Use a spoon and scoop into a storage container.
- You can blend using a blender on low speed for 1 minute to have a smooth heavy cream with the same consistency and taste as the popular brands that you do buy from Walmart.
- The remaining milk after scooping the cream from the milk is what is known as skimmed milk.
I used 1 and a half-gallon of fresh raw milk in making my homemade heavy cream, which is about 7 liters of fresh milk and I got about 1 and a half Cup of cream from it after boiling once. You can still boil again to scoop the cream for the second time.
How long can it last?
It can last for months in the freezer or 3 months in the fridge. When not properly stored, the cream can turn sour and you end up with sour cream instead. You can use it right away to make whipped cream, butter, or buttermilk. When mix or pulsed using a hand mixer or an electric beater, it turns to butter and buttermilk.
This is basically fats and it is high in calories. There are about 400 calories and 43 grams of fat in 119 grams of heavy cream. It also contains 3 grams of carbs and protein each. Other nutrients include vitamins A, D, and E, as well as calcium.
- For making cream coffee – instead of milk, you add cream in coffee to have a creamy coffee.
- You can use it for making pasta, pancakes, and many dinner recipes
- To make ice cream and other desserts such as chocolate mousse
- It can be used for making scrambled eggs or potato soup
- In many cake recipes for making frosting on cakes such as buttercream frosting
- Used in making mashed potatoes
- It is needed for making sour cream, butter, or clarified butter (ghee)
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.