Ginger oil is a spicy-scented oil extracted from ginger root, the part of the plant where the oil is extracted from is called the rhizome. This oil can be extracted from dried ginger, ginger powder, or fresh ginger root.
The extraction process may take a few days but in the end, the ginger contents will be extracted. I used coconut oil as my carrier oil because I like the smell and it blends well with the strong ginger flavor. If you need a specific smell, you can use any essential oil with additional benefits you like.
Table of Contents
This oil can be used to relieve knee pain, joint pain, eczema or psoriasis, or anything caused by inflammation. You can use this oil by gently massaging it into the areas where you are feeling pains. There will be a relief after 30 minutes of applying the oil, and the effect may last for hours.
Things you will need
- Fresh ginger roots or dried ginger
- Carrier oil (coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil)
- Storage bottle
Benefits and uses of ginger oil
- The health benefits of ginger oil are mainly for reducing swelling and pain due to arthritis and eczema.
- You can use it to treat damaged hair and soothe dryness and itchiness of the scalp.
- It improves healthy hair growth by stimulating and improving circulation to the scalp.
- To reduce swelling
- For preventing skin wrinkling
- Also used for treating inflammation such as knee pain, joint pain, eczema, or psoriasis.
- Clears the respiratory tract
- This oil is also used in the treatment of nausea
- It can be used to treat food poisoning and intestinal infections and in the management of varicose veins.
- You can use it to add subtle flavor to your cooking.
How to make ginger oil at home
- Rinse your fresh organic ginger roots under running water and pat them dry
- Using a cheese grater or a small grater; grate the fresh ginger into tiny pieces
- Once done, transfer the grated ginger into a medium jar or bowl
- Add your carrier oil to the grated ginger and allow it to be submerged in the oil. Your carrier oil could be olive oil or coconut oil.
- Cover the jar and leave it to rest in a warm corner for 3 days. You will have to give the jar a little shake as it stays.
- At the end of the three days; open the ginger oil and pour it over a strainer to remove the ginger pulp.
- Store the extracted oil into a storage bottle.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.