Lemongrass chicken recipe
Lemongrass chicken is the Asian chicken recipe, and a Vietnamese way of cooking chicken stir fry with lemongrass. I love this easy chicken recipe because it is so savory especially when cooked with Jasmine rice or Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich); it can also be made with pork and it tastes perfect as well.
If you have never cooked with lemongrass before, you need to try out this very lemongrass recipe, it is tangy and a perfect combo of sweet and sour with hints of lemon and herbs. This lemongrass chicken recipe is not meant for non-vegans alone, vegans can also make their own version with tofu and it will taste superb!!!. There are other lemongrass recipes such as lemongrass tea and lemongrass oil that you might want to check out out. For a better explanation, below is the Youtube video on how to make lemongrass chicken like the restaurant-style.
Chicken thigh or chicken breast can be used to make this recipe, just make sure you debone it because you need boneless chicken for this recipe. You can use lime to substitute lemon in this easy recipe.
You might want to marinate the chicken overnight to make sure the flavor is infused into the chicken. It is delightful. The longer you marinate, the more the flavor of the lemongrass in the chicken stir fry. So no worries, this chicken recipe is easy to make, you only need to marinate the chicken breast or chicken thigh, then pan-fry. Also, you can serve it with boiled white rice or enjoy it as a stand-alone meal. A dipping sauce can be prepared for it but I used the chicken stock to add on the rice as a substitute for the dipping sauce. It tastes really delicious, I love this chicken breast recipe; the taste of the lemon gives it superb taste.
Lemongrass chicken ingredients
- 4 chicken deboned thigh or chicken breast, skin-on
- 1 onion bulb or shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp of minced lemongrass
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce or fish sauce
- 1 whole lemon (squeezed) or 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 stalk scallion or spring onions, chopped
- 5 pieces of red chili, minced after removing the seeds
- 1/2 tsp of red chili, ground – 1/3 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp chicken seasoning
- salt to taste
Method of making Vietnamese lemongrass chicken recipe
- Cut the chicken into bite sizes and set aside in a bowl until needed.
- Remove both lemongrass leaves and the root part and take out the outer sheath you only need the tender bulb.
- Chop the lemongrass into thin rings first and then mince it finely, mince the spring onions or shallots, garlic, and ginger finely, slice the scallion into thin pieces, and set all aside.
- Combine equal amounts of all the ingredients except onion, chili pepper, spring onions, and oyster sauce with the chicken pieces in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle 1 whole lemon over the chicken and season with chicken seasoning. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- You can refrigerate the chicken for about 2 hours or you can marinate it overnight. The longer this easy chicken recipe is marinated, the more the flavor of the lemongrass you will get.
- On the next day or after 2 hours, add 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to skillet, saute onion, and the remaining ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the chopped chill pepper and stir fry for 30 seconds; next, go in with the marinated chicken and pan-fry for 10 minutes on both sides. Add a hand full of spring onions and stir to combine, season with fish sauce or oyster sauce.
- Cook until the chicken is fully soft and slightly brown. You can add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to give the chicken a juicy texture which is perfect over boiled rice.
- Once done, take it off from heat and serve, I used sliced cucumber, parsley, and lemon to garnish my Vietnamese lemongrass chicken however, you can prepare a dipping sauce for your,.