Table of Contents
What is Chicken Marsala
Chicken Marsala is an Italian recipe made with chicken breasts, dry marsala wine, and mushrooms. It is a chicken and mushroom sauce that can be served over pasta or boiled rice. This authentic Italian chicken marsala recipe is also common in North American cuisines. It is called Scaloppine di pollo al Marsala in Italy.
- 3 pieces of Chicken Breasts. If the chicken breasts are large, it is best to slice them horizontally and then pound them to an even 1/4 inch thickness.
- 200 grams of sliced Mushrooms
- 3/4 cup of Heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of Marsala wine
- 1/2 tsp of Black pepper
- 3/4 cup of Chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 3 minced Garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp of Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp of Butter
- 3 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
How to Make Chicken Marsala
- In a bowl, mix the chicken breast with 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 1/2 tsp of salt. Make sure the chicken is well coated with the seasoning.
- To one cup of all-purpose flour, add 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder, and 1/4 tsp of salt. Then stir to combine.
- Now coat the chicken cutlets with the seasoned flour and keep aside in a dish.
- Now, place a pan on heat and add a tbsp of butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Once the oil is heated, transfer the coated chicken to it and stir fry one side for 4 minutes or until it is golden brown in color and then flip over and stir fry the other side as well. Keep aside after frying the chicken.
- To the same pan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil, and then bring in the sliced mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until they are golden brown in color.
- Now, add your minced garlic cloves and stir for a minute the garlic is fragrant; then add 1/4 cup of marsala wine with 1/2 tsp of onion powder. Stir to combine and then cook for 5 minutes until the liquid reduces.
- After 5 minutes, add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream; stir to combine, cover and allow cooking for 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Add the whipping cream while stirring; this makes the chicken marsala creamy.
- Bring in the fried chicken breasts and allow them to cook for 4 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
- Now, sprinkle some chopped parsley on it and allow it to simmer for a minute then scoop the sauce over the chicken. Turn off the heat and your easy chicken marsala recipe is ready.
What to serve with chicken marsala
You can serve with boiled rice, boiled potatoes, or pasta. I personally like my chicken marsala with pasta.
Nutrition and Calories
1 serving has about 537 calories; 32 grams of fats and 203 mg of cholesterol. It also contains about 12 grams of carbs and 43 grams of protein.
Health-wise, chicken marsala is not healthy because it has lots of calories, high in sodium, and fats. It should be eaten in moderation.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.