Butter chicken recipe or Murg Makhani is an easy Indian curry sauce with chicken, butter, cream, garlic, garam masala, and other spices. The chicken is stir-fried and then cooked in a pureed tomato sauce. Butter chicken can be served with cooked white rice or pasta such as spaghetti.
- 300 grams of Chicken Breast
- 1/3 cup of Cream and 2 tbsp of Yogurt
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- 3 Medium-Sized Chopped Tomatoes and 1 Large Chopped Onion
- 2 tbsp of crushed Methi leaves (Fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp of Cashew Nuts
- One and a half tsp of grated Ginger
- 1 tsp of minced Garlic
- 2 tsp of Red Chili Pepper flakes
- 3 tsp of Garam Masala (spice)
- 1 tsp of Coriander powder and 1 tbsp of chopped fresh Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- Freshly squeezed Lemon Juice from half lemon
- 1 tbsp of Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Vinegar
- 4 tbsp of Cooking oil
How to Make Butter Chicken
- First, marinate your chicken by adding 2 tbsp of yogurt, 1 tsp of grated ginger, and a tsp of minced garlic.
- Also add 1 tsp of red chili pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of garam masala spice, and freshly squeezed lemon juice from half lemon.
- Stir all ingredients together and allow for 1 hour or more for the ingredients to marinate the chicken properly.
- After an hour of marinating the chicken, place a pan on the heat and add 3 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Bring in the marinated chicken and pan fry it for 10 minutes.
- After pan-frying the chicken, remove it from the pan and add 1 tbsp of oil and a tbsp of butter to the same pan.
- When the butter has melted, add 1 chopped onion, 3 medium-sized chopped tomatoes, 1/2 tsp of grated ginger, 3 minced garlic, and 1tbsp of cashew nuts. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add 1 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of vinegar, 1 tsp of red chili, a tsp of coriander, a tsp of garam masala, and 1/2 tsp of salt. Add 1/3 cup of water and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the tomato turns soft and creamy.
- 10 minutes later, turn off the heat and allow the tomato sauce to cool down and then blend into a smooth puree. You can add 1/3 cup of water to aid blending.
- If you want a very smooth butter chicken recipe, then strain the pureed tomato sauce.
- Place your pan on the heat and add the strained pureed tomato sauce into the pan. Also, add 1 tbsp of butter, 1/3 cup of cream, and add the pan-fried chicken; stir to combine and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, garnish with 1 tbsp of chopped Methi leaves and 1 tbsp of fresh coriander leaves. Allow it to cook for 1 minute and then turn off the heat.
- Your easy butter chicken recipe is ready.
You can serve it with cooked white rice.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.