Fruit punch indeed is very simple and fund to make, the most interesting thing about a fruit punch is having many fruits to combine and having some ice cubes at hand to chill your fruit punch with. This colourful drink is just the best for a party, picnic and it is also excellent to serve as a beach drink. I cant even imagine a hot sunny day without a fruit punch by my side, plus the sweetness of different fruits and the deep red colour you get when you combine these fruits with your favourite juice drink or wine. Another important thing about fruit punch is that you can make use of any type of drink that you want, like the above fruit punch was made with Zobo drink (sorrel leaves which some people called hibiscus flour drink), however red wine can be used to make fruit punch and you will still end up with a very fantastic outcome of flavour.
Table of Contents
What is fruit punch?
A fruit punch is a drink of any kind (alcoholic or non-alcoholic drink) containing smaller pieces of fruits, soft drinks and or fruit juice in it. The most common fruits used for making fruit punch are citrus (lemon and orange), but some fruits like apple, cucumber, strawberries, peaches, paw paws and pineapple are also used to make this drink. Fruit punches are of different varieties, the most popular fruit punches are made of fruits cut in wedges, while other varieties may be seen of the fruits cut into medium or smaller cubes which are my preferred fruits punch. In this fruit punch, instead of the usual wine, I decided to make use of Zobo drink to make this fruit punch.
Zobo drink is often served in different occasions and it is ideal for a large banquet of people, the drink has this tangy taste plus the deep red colour that resembles red wine when it has been boiled. After I made this fruit punch and filled it up with different pieces of fruits and sweetener, I decided to chill it with some ice cubes, I couldnt even believe the refreshing taste and the fruity texture I got from this, I really love it and everyone I shared the punch drink with loved it too and at a point, I wished I had made a gallon of it because it was really refreshing. If you are looking for the best and a simple holiday fruit punch recipe to take to the beach, this is great for such event and it is even a great fruit punch recipe for kids too since it is soft and non-alcoholic in taste.
Fruit punch ingredients
- 1 cup of dried sorrel flowers (zobo)
- 1 lemon, cut into slices
- 1 small sized fresh ginger
- 1 cup sugar or more to get the punch sweet
- One small sized pawpaw, divide into two
- 2 apples, red and green apples
- 1 small sized cucumber, peel and seeds removed
Steps on to make fruit punch with zobo drink
- Rinse zobo into a large pot, add 2 cups of water, add lemon and ginger into it and bring to a boil.
- Let the zobo boil for about 30 minutes until the red juice is out completely.
- Bring the Zobo off from heat and leave it to cool down.
- Use a fine sieve to filter the zobo juice into an empty bowl and keep side.
- Dissolve some sugar into the drink and place the drink in the fridge to chill. You can use any kind of sweetener like jolly juice, if you prefer.
- Wash pawpaw, apples and cucumber, cut the fruits into smaller cubes and keep aside.
- Bring the zobo drink out of the fridge and float the cut fruits on top of the juice,
- Serve your zobo fruit punch in your preferred cups and add some ice cubes into it and enjoy.
Some simple steps on how to make fruit punch with zobo drink
- Rinse and add 2 cups of water to Zobo and add some lemon slices and ginger into it.
2. Cook this for 30 minutes until the juice has come out. Bring the zobo off from heat and leave it to cool down.
3. Filter the zobo with a fine sieve into a fruit punchbowl.
4. Add sugar and stir to combine and then place it in the fridge to chill while you prepare the fruits.
5. Wash pawpaw, apples and cucumber and slice them into tiny cubes and keep aside.
6. Bring the zobo juice out of the fridge and pour in the fruits and mix it together. The fruits would float on top of the juice.
7. Pour the fruit punch into a cup and serve with some ice cubes in it.
Note:The above fruits can be substituted with your preferred fruits (strawberries, peaches, pineapple, orange, mango and blueberries), also,instead of zobo juice; you can use frozen orange or pineapple juice for the fruit punch.