Another sweet pumpkin recipe that l am going to talk about is what I was recently taught by a langtang friend, it is very yummy and totally different from the two pumpkin soups (pumpkin soup) that I have made earlier. There is something very unique and special about this specific type of pumpkin recipe. It is prepared into a thick porridge in which pumpkin and groundnut pastes are used as thickeners to get the dish thickened. The food is usually called Ibgik in Tarok local dialect and it is not common at all, I just had the chance to learn this recipe and decided to share it here. However, I have decided to give this recipe a better name and I have added my own twists to make this taste even better and appreciated by others who might want to try this out, this is why I said, it is a special and unique food. I called this recipe- pumpkin porridge/pottage, it is so simple and delicious to try out. Now this porridge is usually prepared very thick, to avoid a watery porridge you will have to control the amount of water you add to it, most pumpkins contains liquid in their flesh, you can allow the pumpkin to use its own water to cook itself for few minutes before adding water into it. The pumpkin I used for this recipe has dried most of the water in its flesh because I have left it for days this is why I decided to add water to cook it from scratch.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for preparing pumpkin pottage/porridge
- 1 Cup of pumpkin flesh, peel and diced
- Cup roasted groundnut, grinded
- 1 Ball onion, chopped
- Stick spring onions or spinach, chopped
- 1 Medium carrot, chopped
- 1 Clove, minced
- 2 Chicken stock cubes
- 1 Teaspoon chilli pepper 2 scotch bonnet
- Salt to taste
Procedures for makingpumpkin porridge/pottage
- In a medium pot add a cup of water and bring pumpkin to a boil. Let the pulp of the pumpkin cook until very tender.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, add groundnut, pepper and let it simmer for 15minutes on a medium heat.
- After 10 minutes, season the content with two stock cubes, chopped onions and salt. Let it simmer for 10 minutes and try to mash the pumpkin with a spoon to thicken it.
- Chop fresh spinach and add to it and let it sit on heat for 3 minutes
- Put off heat and serve it warm.
Simple steps to make pumpkin porridge
- Add 1 cup of water to a medium pot and bring pumpkin to a boil, pumpkin should cook until very soft. You can add more water to the pumpkin if it is hard
2. When pumpkin has cooked and it’sfork tender, add carrots and groundnut paste and allowthe groundnut to dissolve.
3. After 10 minutes add pepper, onions, chicken stock cubes and salt to taste. Mash the pumpkins with a spoon to get the porridge thickened, reduce the flame and do not add water anymore to the content.
4. Add chopped spring onions and stir to combine. Taste for salt and leave to simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Put off heat and serve your pumpkin porridge hot.
Now, that was asimple and fast pumpkin recipe for anyone to prepare, if you have other pumpkin recipes and feel we should trythem, please dont hesitate to share with us and also , we would love tohear your feed back on pumpkin porridge.