Table of Contents
Peanut Butter is the butter made from peanuts (also known as groundnuts, goober, or monkey nut) after they have been roasted and ground into a smooth paste. This groundnut butter is used in making many recipes for making cookies, pies, balls, and bars. You can make a healthy organic butter recipe with groundnut at home with your blender or food processor; you get to choose what is added to it. If you are vegan, you can easily use it as a substitute for regular butter in your recipes.
Homemade Peanut butter is high in fats but has low Carb – this can be a good keto diet. Whatever you want to add to it, you can do so easily because you are making it yourself, so if you want sugar-free butter, you can substitute it with salt or even use it without sugar or salt.
It can be a source of protein and fats in making food for dogs and cats. I prefer using all-natural and organic ingredients in making my groundnut butter at home.
- Organic Peanuts
- Honey – you can substitute this with sugar
- Salt to taste. Some people prefer their peanut butter with no sugar; in that case, they do add a pinch of salt to taste. You can omit the salt as well if you want it unsalted.
- You need a blender to blend the peanuts to make the butter.
How to make Peanut butter at Home from scratch
- Roast the peanuts first before making the butter. Peanuts can be roasted in an oven or on a stovetop with a pan. The oven-roasted peanuts are hygienic compared to the pan-roasted peanuts that require sand or chaff in the roasting process to prevent them from burning.
- After roasting, allow cooling for 5 minutes before peeling them.
- If you have a powerful blender, you can blend large batches but when using a smaller blender, a little is always better.
- When the peanuts start becoming buttery, they usually become sticky and hold on to the blade of the blender, preventing it from further spinning; to prevent this, add a tablespoon of peanut oil or any olive oil to aid the blending process.
- You can add other ingredients you wish during the blending process such as ginger powder, sugar, or honey.
- Once it has turned to a smooth past as you wish, your peanut butter is ready. You can use a spoon to scoop it out and continue the other batches.
- Once done, store in a jar with a close-fitting lid.
Uses of peanut butter
- Used as a Spread on bread but can also be used in many food recipes for making other peanut recipes.
- It is used for making fudge
- Used for making snacks such as cookies
- You can use it to make ice cream and banana smoothie – this can be combined with yogurt or milk. It is very delicious and refreshing.
- It can also be used for peanut butter frosting
- Can be added in oatmeal
- For making cakes such as mug cake
- Used for making milkshakes
- It tastes great when added to noodles
- For making pancakes
- Used for Rice Krispies
- You can use it to make soup
- For making truffles
Some people use this butter to gain weight because of its calories; sugar with other additives are usually added. Sugar-free peanut butter is good for diabetics.
It is a good butter substitute for vegans.
Peanut Butter Nutrition facts
The all-natural butter is low carb and contains high amounts of healthy fats. It has a moderate amount of protein, and rich in fiber.
Peanut butter is a keto diet because two tablespoons of all-natural peanut butter provide 185 calories, 8 grams of protein, about 7 grams of carbs, and 16 grams of fats. This is if nothing has been added to the peanut butter.
Does peanut butter go bad?
Yes, it can go bad if not stored properly after opening it. If you made it at home, make sure you store in an airtight container that has no water in it; you can preserve it in the fridge after using it.
How long does peanut butter last?
A homemade Peanut butter recipe can last for 3 to 4 months when stored in the fridge.
Storage and Preservation
After making your peanut butter, you can store it in an airtight jar and preserve it in the refrigerator. It can last for up to 4 months. You can also dry it in a dehydrator, under the sun or in the oven to make the powder.