It is easy to make the best guacamole recipe at home, the trick is using the right ingredients and keeping it fresh all through.
Guacamole is an authentic Mexican dip, Avocado spread, or salad made with fresh avocado, pepper, lime, onion, garlic, tomato, and fresh herbs. This is quite easy to put together and endlessly delicious and spicy. I love the subtle heat that comes from every bite of this homemade guacamole, all thanks to the jalapeno pepper, it makes this dip stands out.
You can make this guacamole ahead of time and store it in the fridge if you are not using it immediately. I love the overall result of this guacamole, especially the way the avocado blends with all the quality ingredients. All thanks to the lime juice, it keeps the mashed avocado fresh and prevents it from oxidizing too quickly. This is the reason why I love freshly squeezed and not the bottled lime juice.
The trick for making the best guacamole recipe is using a good avocado. You need moderately ripe ones. If they’re too ripe, the taste will be off, and when they are not ripe enough, you may not be able to mash them, and will be tasteless.
What to eat with guacamole
Guacamole can be eaten with tortilla chips, use as a spread on bread, or simply eaten as a salad. It makes an excellent topping or side for grilled salmon, enchiladas, grilled chicken, and tacos. You can try mixing a few spoons of guacamole in your deviled eggs or egg salad and then wash it down with this fresh mint margarita.
Here is a youtube video on how to make this simple Guacamole recipe at home:
- 2 fresh ripe avocados, large
- Freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, seeds removed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Half of a small red onion
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1 Jalapeno pepper. If you want it spicy, you can add more
- Parsley or cilantro to garnish
- 2 Garlic cloves
How to Make Guacamole (Homemade Guacamole Recipe)
- Cut open two large avocados into halves and remove the pit with a sharp knife, further cut the avocado into cubes inside the peel.
- Use a spoon to scoop out all the avocado flesh and place them in a medium bowl.
- Squeeze in one whole lime juice and mash the avocado using a fork until it is almost smooth or to your desired smoothness or chunkiness.
- Finely chop the onion, tomato, garlic, jalapeno pepper and add to the bowl. Season with salt and taste for salt, add more lime juice if needed.
- Once you are satisfied with the taste of the guacamole, add finely chopped cilantro and gently stir to combine.
- Your homemade guacamole recipe is ready. It can be eaten with tortilla chips, use as a spread on toast, or simply eaten as a salad.
How to keep guacamole from turning brown too quickly
Guacamole and air don’t usually go together, the trick to keeping it fresh and green is to avoid air from touching it. To keep your guacamole fresh and prevent it from turning brown: You will need to transfer it into a small bowl and cover it with a cling film. Gently press it down such that the film touches the surface of the guacamole. You can refrigerate or freeze your guacamole. It should last for2 to 3 days and still be fresh.
Nutrition and calories
For one serving of guacamole which is 2 tablespoons, it contains 4.5g of fat, 1g of protein, 3g of carbs, and 1.6g of dietary fiber. There are 50 calories in 2 tablespoons of guacamole. It also contains some minerals and vitamins.