Table of Contents
Mexican rice is also called Spanish rice, arroz rojo, or red rice. It is a delicious rice recipe made with white rice, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and other ingredients. Though this rice recipe was brought to Mexico by the Spanish settlers, the style of cooking Mexican rice is different from the Spanish rice. The authentic Mexican rice is traditionally made by frying the rice (sautéing) in a pan with oil so as to turn it golden brown in color.
This rice recipe is similar to the Nigerian Palm oil Jollof rice (MTN Rice) but the style of cooking the rice is different.
- 2 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 cup of long-grain rice or basmati rice
- Half of a small red onion
- 1 tbsp of Tomato paste
- 2 cups of Meat broth (chicken or beef)
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp of Turmeric powder and curry powder
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 tsp of Paprika powder
How to Make Mexican Rice
Sauteing the white rice
- First, the rice is washed to reduce the starch until the water turns clear
- It is then drained in a strainer to reduce the water content.
- Place a pan on high heat and then bring in the drained white rice
- Saute the rice by continuously stirring it to prevent it from getting burnt but at the same time, the heat turns the white rice to golden brown in color. This may take 5 minutes.
Preparing the tomato sauce
- Combine all other ingredients except the Jalapeno pepper into a blender or food processor: tomatoes, red onions, cumin, garlic, meat broth, turmeric and curry powder, and tomato paste.
- Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
Cooking the Mexican rice
- After sauteing the white rice and it has turned golden brown in color, now add the blended tomatoes and other ingredients together into the skillet.
- Divide the Jalapeno pepper into two and add to it.
- Add salt to taste while taking note of the amount of salt in your meat broth.
- Cover and allow to cook until it is soft and the water has dried up.
- You will notice some tomato paste on top of the rice, mix it with the rice and serve.
- Your homemade Mexican rice is ready. It can be made with beans.
Other ingredients can be added to your need, the most important step is the sauteing of the white rice. You can also add chicken if you like.