Banana bread is easy to make at home. This simple bread recipe is made with banana and few ingredients. To make the best homemade moist banana bread recipe at home, ensure you are using overripe bananas. I will show you how to make banana bread at home.
Table of Contents
Banana Bread Ingredients
- 3 overripe Bananas: when your bananas are overripe, they make it easier to mash into a paste, you will have moist banana bread and will be sweeter. Unripe or simply ripe makes it difficult to get that moist texture when the bread is made. If you don’t have overripe bananas, frozen bananas that have been thawed can be used as substitutes.
- One cup of Flour
- 1 tsp of Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Banana flavor
- 1/2 cup of Brown sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup of melted Butter
To add more moisture to the banana bread recipe, some people do add plain yogurt, Greek yogurt, or sour cream to it.
Nutrition and Calories
For every 100 grams of banana bread, there are 326 calories, 11 g of fats, 55g of carbs, 1.1g of dietary fiber. There are other minerals and vitamins depending on the type of ingredients added to it.
How to Make Banana Bread
Making the mix
- To make a moist banana bread recipe, first, mash your overripe bananas into a smooth paste. You can use a fork to mash the bananas or a potato masher when working with a large batch.
- Then add your brown sugar and baking soda into the banana paste and stir to combine. The brown sugar makes the banana bread moist and also adds brown color to your bread; making it lovely and appealing. This is best when you are making it for commercial purposes rather than eating at home. The presence of banana bread on the shelf always stands out compared to most loaves of bread you will make. Even when it is homemade, I prefer it to look lovely, and brown sugar does the job for you. The baking soda makes it soft and rises easily when being baked in the oven; however, adding too much baking soda makes it cracks as it bakes.
- After mixing the brown sugar and baking soda, now add 1 large egg and a third cup of melted butter. I used salted butter and I won’t be adding salt anymore. If you were using unsalted butter, you can add a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness or the taste. Stir to combine. For healthy vegan banana bread, you can use margarine as a substitute for butter or peanut butter could be used. Margarine makes it even healthy because it is made from vegetable oil which is good for the health of the heart.
- For flavoring, I love the aroma of banana flavor; at least we are making a banana bread recipe that should taste and smell like bananas, therefore, I am using banana flavor together with cinnamon which also adds to the flavor. Cinnamon has an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property which makes banana bread even healthy. You can use vanilla essence if you like that.
Making the batter
- Now gradually add in 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir as you mix. Any type of flour can be used for this banana bread recipe but the texture you will get from the type of flour you used is going to be different. For gluten free banana bread, you can use gluten free flour such as almond flour, coconut flour, potato flour (potato starch), rice flour, tapioca starch, or cornflour. Oatmeal can also be used for making this bread recipe which makes it even healthier because of the fiber content and the nutrition of oats, especially for weight loss. You use oatmeal just the way it is used for making oatmeal raisin cookies.
- Once you have stirred in the flour and you now have a smooth, lump-free batter; you can pour it into your baking pan which should be greased with oil to make it easier to remove from the pan after baking.
- After pouring the batter, tap the pan on the table to help get rid of air bubbles and helps to set the batter in the baking pan, helping it to remove easily also after baking.
- Now, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes or until it changes to brown color.
- After taking your homemade banana bread out of the oven, ensure to allow it to cool a bit for about 5 minutes before removing it out of the baking pan. This will ensure your break does not break apart as you remove it out of the pan; when hot, some parts are soft and can easily break apart when you try removing it.
This was how to make a simple, moist, healthy, and easy banana bread recipe at home, for a twist you can add marshmallow. I promise it will be the best bread recipe you have tasted. I love it so much and you can vary the ingredients to your taste. You can use whole wheat for baking this, add some nuts such as walnuts, mix it with chocolate chips, or add Nutella. Fruits such as pineapple, strawberry, zucchini, and pumpkin can also be added to this bread recipe.