Table of Contents
Simple Cuboidal Epithelium Definition
Simple cuboidal epithelium cells are roughly as tall as they are wide they are cube-like and their greater thickness allows their cytoplasm to be rich in mitochondria and other organelles because they are involved in a high level of active transport across the epithelium and they also perform other functions.
Simple cuboidal epithelium is similar to simple columnar epithelium, but for the fact that the height of the cells is about the same as their width and their nuclei are usually rounded.
Where is Simple Cuboidal Epithelium Found?
Simple cuboidal epithelium lines the secretory elements of many glands and cuboidal epithelial tissue with a prominent brush border is seen in the proximal convoluted tubules of the kidneys.
Simple Cuboidal Epithelium Location
- Follicles of the thyroid gland
- Straight descending part of the proximal tubule (the initial segment of the loop of Henle)
- The rete testis – each of the component cells bears short microvilli and a single cilium on the apical surface. The simple cuboidal epithelium lies on a delicate basal lamina. The channels of the rete testis are surrounded by a dense bed of vascular connective tissue.
- The smallest branches of the ducts in the breast are lined by simple cuboidal epithelium
- The alveolar walls of the breast
- Terminal bronchioles in the lungs are lined by simple cuboidal epithelium consisting mainly of Clara cells, which have innate immune and surfactant secretory functions
- Covering of the Ovary (germinal epithelium)
- Mucosa that lines the middle ear cavity
- Choroid plexuses of the ventricles in the brain
- The inner surface of the eye lens
- The pigment cell layer of the retina
- Pancreatic acini
What is the Function of Simple Cuboidal Epithelium?
The main function of simple cuboidal epithelium is for quick secretion especially in glands and also in absorption.
Simple Cuboidal Epithelium showing the appearance of cells – appearing cuboidal in section and hexagonal in surface view.jpg
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.