This chicken stir fry recipe is one of the easiest and best chicken recipes that pair well with boiled white rice or noodles, it better than any fancy takeout and absolutely delicious. Chicken stir fry is a simple Chinese cuisine prepared by simply combining fried chicken with a rich gravy sauce and mixed with some colorful vegetables. This is quite similar to this chicken quesadillas and sesame chicken as everything is prepared within 30 minutes in one pan.
What I really love about this chicken and vegetables stir fry recipe is the way the chicken is cut into long strips, this allows all the chicken parts to be fully soaked in the savory sauce. The sauce is not too spicy; the chicken pieces are tender and not hard to chew which makes it kids friendly.
The type of vegetables you use is totally dependent on you and the flavor you aim to achieve. However, no matter which vegetable you use this sauce will still turn out really amazing. Personally, crunchy vegetables are my best options because they are chewy and still remain fresh even after being cooked.
You don’t need any special tools to chop up your vegetables, you can easily use your knife and your chopping board to julienne or slice the peppers, and carrots into thin strips.
Be sure to include this easy chicken and stir fry recipe in your menu list, it is pretty easy to make and all the ingredients can be switched around to soothe your taste. Please watch the Youtube video below for more explanation:
You can also try out this orange chicken recipe and this delicious lemon chicken.
Table of Contents
What you can add to stir fry for flavor
If you really love a robust flavor in this recipe, try adding some spices or herbs like oregano, cilantro, basil, cumin, coriander. Also, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and some chicken stock cubes can be added to add to the flavor of your stir fry chicken.
How to make perfect chicken stir fry from scratch?
- Start by preparing all your vegetables ahead of time and keep them aside.
- Defrost your chicken thighs and then cut them into thin strips.
- Grate, mince, and chop ginger, garlic, and onion if using these and set aside.
- You will also need to bring out all the seasonings and spices you’re going to be needing in this chicken stir fry recipe; place them where you can reach them easily.
- Simply season your chicken to taste. Saute onion, garlic ginger, and cook with the chicken until fragrant.
- Once the chicken has cooked through, combine all the vegetables, make the gravy sauce with tomato sauce, and spice it up to taste.
What to serve with chicken stir fry sauce
Chicken stir fry is a versatile sauce that can be made with chicken breast or chicken thigh, it goes well with rice, yam, mashed potatoes, noodles, spaghetti, and a lot more. You can make yours by using the most simplest and affordable ingredients.
Chicken stir fry served with rice
Chicken stir fry ingredients
To marinate the chicken
- 3 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Knorr chicken seasoning
- A pinch of salt
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onion
- red and green chilies, optional
How to make chicken stir fry step by step
- Cut your chicken into thin strips and place in a bowl, season the chicken with /22 teaspoon of crushed Knorr chicken seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir with a spoon to combine and make sure the corn starch coats the chicken nicely and set it aside.
- Place a medium-sized pan on the stove, add oil to the pan, grated ginger, minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add onion and stir cook for 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken cutlets, and stir fry until the chicken starts to brown and cooked through. This will take about 7 to 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the chicken is slightly golden, add the chopped carrots, red and green bell peppers, and stir to incorporate.
- Add a few pieces of red and green chili peppers if you like some heat. Add tomato sauce, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, and spring onion.
- Stir the content properly until the veggies and the chicken are well incorporated. Cook for 5 minutes on low heat until all the vegetables are heated through but not wilted.
- Turn off the heat once you are happy with the taste and aroma of your stir fry.
- Serve your chicken stir fry over boiled rice or noodles. Bon appetit!
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.