Brown sugar has many benefits and uses in making different food recipes; I will be showing the different food recipes in which brown sugar can be used.
Table of Contents
What is brown sugar?
Brown sugar is a sugar product with a brownish color made by adding molasses to unrefined sugar or partially refined sugar. It is used in baking, marinades, and sauces.
Unrefined Brown Sugar
If you want to make unrefined brown sugar at home, you use 1 cup of unrefined sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses. Pour them into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly until it is well combined. If you want it to remain soft, then ensure you place a tissue paper at the bottom of the storage jar during preservation.
Brown sugar vs white sugar
White sugar is used for making brown sugar by adding molasses to it. Brown sugar has fewer calories than white sugar, it is richer in nutrition, and even healthier compared to white sugar.
Brown Sugar benefits and uses
- For making brown sugar rub for salmon
- To make brown sugar glaze for ham and also for making a rub for ribs
- For making cookies such as chocolate chip cookies and also for making brown sugar-glazed carrots
- For preparing garlic chicken and pork chops
- Used in making banana bread or pop tarts
- In making roasted butternut squash and brown sugar oatmeal
- To make a simple syrup
- You can use brown sugar to make pound cakes and pie such as for apple pie filling.
- It is also used in many dessert recipes.
- Use for making pancakes and as a sweetener to your milk tea such as ginger tea: you can add brown sugar to your ginger tea, it adds flavor to the ginger tea and gives you the benefits you get from blackstrap molasses which is packed with a lot of minerals and vitamin B6.
- It can be used for making mashed sweet potatoes
How to make brown sugar substitute
To make brown sugar substitute at home, use one cup of white granulated sugar and pour it into a mixing bowl, and add blackstrap molasses to it and mix thoroughly until it combines with the whole granulated white sugar.
There are two major types of brown sugar, light brown sugar, and dark brown sugar.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.