Honey garlic chicken recipe is a tasty Asian chicken recipe made with honey, garlic, and chicken parts such as thighs, breasts, or wings. The chicken can be baked, grilled, seared, or fried before being cooked in honey and garlic sauce. Honey garlic chicken recipe is often eaten with parboiled white rice.
Table of Contents
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 4 pieces of chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings, or chicken breasts. I am using chicken thighs for this recipe.
- 1/4 cup of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 tbsp of chopped parsley – for garnishing.
- 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes
- 1 cup of chicken stock.
How to Make an Easy Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe
Frying the chicken thighs
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, garlic powder, and chili flakes.
- Stir to combine and then lightly coat the chicken thighs with the flour mixture. You can shake off any excess flour coating and then drop it on a plate. Keep the coated chicken thighs aside. Some people prefer marinating their chicken with the seasoning for hours or overnight before coating it with the flour. This method ensures the chicken absorbs the marinade and tastes better but it takes a longer time to prepare.
- Now, place a pan on the stovetop and add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. We are going to pan sear the chicken thighs. You can use an oven to bake the chicken or use a grill. Whatever method you choose depends on what you love.
- Once the oil is heated up, add the chicken thighs and sear on each side for 5 to 10 minutes on high heat, depending on the size of the chicken. The slimmer the chicken parts you use, the less time it takes to cook.
- Turn over to the other side and sear as well. While the chicken is searing, start making the honey garlic sauce.
Making the Honey Garlic Sauce
- In another mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup of honey and 1/4 cup of light soy sauce.
- Also, add 1 tbsp of vinegar and 1 cup of chicken stock.
- Stir everything until the honey dissolves. The honey gives the chicken a nice glaze.
Making the Honey Garlic Chicken
- To the pan on heat containing the chicken, add 2 tbsp of butter.
- Once the butter melts, add 5 minced garlic cloves and stir fry for a minute while toasting the chicken together with the garlic to infuse a nice garlic flavor to the chicken.
- Now add the honey garlic sauce into the pan containing the chicken and stir together.
- Allow cooking for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Ensure you turn the chicken to the other side to cook in the sauce as well.
- Once the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened, you can garnish with some chopped parsley and sprinkle some chili flakes over the chicken.
- And your easy homemade honey garlic chicken recipe is ready.
Honey garlic chicken can be eaten with boiled white rice and some veggies such as steamed carrots or green beans.
Similar Chicken Recipes
Tools you may need
The tools you will need depend on how you are going to cook the chicken. Below are the tools I used and those you may need.
- Skillet (frying pan, frypan) – for frying the chicken. If you have the cast iron skillet, it’s better. You can use an air fryer as well.
- You can use a crock pot (slow cooker) or instant pot. It all depends on how you want to cook the chicken.
- If you are going to bake the chicken, an oven will be needed.
- A grill is needed when you need grilled chicken for your honey garlic chicken recipe.