The pumpkin pie recipe is very easy to make at home but involves several steps you have to follow. This delicious dessert is so tasty and yummy and you should try this out with some vanilla flavoring and let me know what you think in the comments. I will show you how to make this easy homemade pumpkin pie recipe from scratch starting from making the pie crust, the filling, the ingredients for the pumpkin pie spices, and the baking process.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups of Pumpkin Puree. You can make your own homemade pumpkin puree.
- Pumpkin dough – for making the pie crust.
- Cream frosting (optional, only used for decoration).
- 1/4 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of whole milk (you can use evaporated milk for this recipe also).
- 4 medium-sized eggs.
- 1 tsp of Vanilla essence.
Pumpkin Pie Spices
- 1/2 tsp of ground Cinnamon.
- A pinch of ground Clove powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of Ginger Powder.
- 1/2 tsp of grated Nutmeg.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Recipe from Scratch
A) Making the Crust from the dough
- Roll out the dough using your rolling pin into a circular shape. I am using a 24 cm diameter pie pan, therefore the size of the dough when rolled out should be wider than the size of your pan.
- Pick the rolled-out pie dough and place it over the pie pan. You can use the rolling pin to do this by winding the dough over the rolling pin and then taking it over the pan and unwinding it again.
- Use your hands to tuck in the pie dough so that it touches the base of the pan. You can use a pair of scissors to cut out any excess dough at the edges of the pan or you can still use your hand to tuck in the edges.
- Indent the edges of the pie dough using your two index fingers and thumbs so that it has grooves or fluted edges. You do this by using two fingers on one side and one finger on the other hand then push the dough in between the two fingers to make the grooves. This will make your pumpkin pie look professional.
- Now, chill the pie crust in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 30 minutes. This helps to keep the crust firm.
B) Blind Baking the Pie Crust
- After 30 minutes in the freezer, remove the pie crust.
- Use a fork to poke so many holes in the middle of the frozen pie crust to prevent it from puffing up and creating air pockets when baking.
- Now, blind bake (pre-bake) the pie crust in two stages:
- First: Bake the edges of the crust only by placing parchment paper in the middle of the pie crust and then use a pie weight to help press down the middle of the pie crust, preventing it from puffing up while baking. If you don’t have a pie weight, you can use dried beans to substitute the pie weight. Bake the pie crust for about 10 minutes at a temperature of 425 degrees Fahrenheit or until the edges are lightly brown.
- Secondly, remove the pie crust from the oven after 10 minutes and remove the pie weight as well. You can use 1 egg white and apply it to the middle of the pie crust to prevent it from becoming soggy. Apply the egg white using a pastry brush and then return the pie crust into the oven again to bake the middle of the pie crust for another 10 minutes at the same temperature or until the middle looks like the edges – lightly brown.
You can make the pie crust a day or two prior to making the pie.
C) Making the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- To a small pot, bring in 2 cups of pumpkin puree, to it, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of white granulated sugar, and your pumpkin pie spices. Pumpkin pie spices usually comes already made but you can make your own homemade substitute (the ingredients for the pumpkin pie spices are listed above).
- Add everything and heat them up lightly on the stovetop for about 2 to 3 minutes while stirring until they are totally combined and the pumpkin puree mixture is warm but not hot.
- Make milk, egg, and heavy cream mixture. To a small bowl, add 3 whole eggs, 1 cup of heavy cream, and 1/2 cup of whole milk. Mix everything together with a hand whisk and then pour the mixture into the warm pumpkin puree. Add the milk mixture a little at a time while stirring. You can add 1 tsp of vanilla essence for flavoring.
- Mix to combine until you have pumpkin pie filling that is a bit runny but not thick in its consistency.
D) Baking the pumpkin pie
- Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the pie crust until it is almost filled but not totally filled up.
- Bake your pumpkin pie at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 to 60 minutes or until the pie starts to set.
- Remove from the oven after 60 minutes and allow it to cool down and enjoy your homemade pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream frosting.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.