Potato Soup is a creamy and cheesy soup made with potatoes and sour cream, cooked with meat broth, and garnished with cheese and some chives. It can be loaded with some ingredients such as chunks of potatoes, bacon or ham, cheese, and some vegetables of choice. Here is a step-by-step procedure for making the best, creamy, cheesy, and homemade loaded potato soup recipe with bacon and cheese.
You can top your easy potato soup recipe with chives or spring onions, crispy bacon, and cheddar cheese.
- 4 large Potatoes (chopped)
- 2 tbsp of Cheddar Cheese (for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup of Sour cream
- 2 and a half cups of whole Milk.
- 4 strips of Bacon
- 2 tbsp of Spring onions or Chives (for garnishing)
- 1 medium-sized Onion
- 3 minced Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of ground Black Pepper and 1/4 tsp of red chili pepper powder.
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 1/4 cup of All-purpose flour (or Cornstarch/Corn flour for a gluten free potato soup)
- 4 cups of Chicken broth.
- 3 tbsp of Butter.
Steps on How to Make Loaded Potato Soup at Home
- Brown the bacon until it becomes crispy by stir-frying it on medium heat until it turns out crispy. You can add a teaspoon of oil if your bacon does not have fats. If you are not using bacon, you can use ham or chicken; or you can even skip adding meat to the potato soup.
- Once the bacon is crispy, remove from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Using the same pot, add 3 tbsp of butter and 1 medium chopped onion. Saute the onion for 2 minutes until it is fragrant and add 3 minced garlic cloves to it.
- Add a quarter cup of flour and stir; this serves as a thickener to our potato soup.
- Now, add the diced potatoes, 4 cups of chicken broth. Use low sodium chicken broth so that your potato soup does not become salty.
- Pour 2 and a half cups of whole milk and cover the pot; allow cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes become soft and tender.
- Once the potatoes are soft, you can use an immersion blender to blend half of the soup and leave half part before mixing them together. This is to give a creamy and thick consistency to your potato soup. But if you want it a bit watery and chunky, no need of blending half part of it with the immersion blender.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt and a tsp of ground black pepper
- Also, add half part of the crispy bacon and 1/2 cup of sour cream; stir and cover to simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
You can top this creamy homemade potato soup recipe with remaining bacon, cheddar cheese, and some chives or spring onions. It is best enjoyed warm or hot.
This was quite easy and simple to make and it is creamy and delicious. I hope you love this.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.