Oxtail Stew is an easy stew recipe made from oxtail and often cooked with potatoes and some vegetables such as carrots. To make this stew is very easy but it takes a lot of time because you need the oxtail to be soft and tender just as the Jamaican style of cooking oxtail stew. The main ingredients being the oxtail, tomatoes, potatoes, and red wine. Others can be varied as needed or as available.
- 1.5 kg of Oxtail
- 5 medium-sized Potatoes (chopped into chunks)
- 1 cup of Red wine
- 1 tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tsp of crushed Scotch Bonnet
- 4 diced fresh Tomatoes
- 2 and a half tbsp of Tomato paste.
- 2 medium-sized diced Carrots
- 1/2 tsp of dried Rosemary
- 4 minced Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp of grated Ginger
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 4 tbsp of Sunflower Oil
- tbsp of Beef seasoning cubes
- 1 and a half tsp of Browning
- Half Onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup of chopped Spring Onions
- 1 cup of minced Red and Green Bell peppers
- 1 tsp of thyme.
- 2 chopped celery sticks
- 1 tbsp of Allspice (also called myrtle pepper, Jamaica pepper, pimenta, or pimento)
- 1 tsp of Paprika powder
- 1 tsp of Curry powder
- 1/2 tsp of dried Rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
How to Make Oxtail Stew
Marinating the Oxtails
Since oxtail has excess fat, you can trim off the fats before washing and marinating. Some people cook it like that and then scoop out the excess fat after the cooking.
- First, we need to marinate the oxtails. Make sure you have washed the oxtails with vinegar and limewater before marinating them.
- In a large bowl containing the oxtails, add 2 tbsp of beef seasoning cubes, 1 tsp of paprika powder, 4 minced garlic cloves, and a tsp of grated ginger.
- Also, add 1 tbsp of all-spice, 1 tsp of browning, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 cup of spring onions, 1 tsp of thyme, and 1 tsp of black pepper powder.
- Now, drizzle 2 tbsp of sunflower oil over the seasoned oxtails, and then finally add 1 cup of minced red and green bell peppers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 2 hours. You can marinate the oxtails overnight.
Braising the marinated oxtails
- After 2 hours, use a tong to pick and shake off excess seasoning from the oxtail and transfer to another bowl. Shaking off the excess of the coated seasoning prevents you from coughing during braising of the oxtails.
- Place a pot on the heat and add 2 tbsp of sunflower oil; allow the oil to heat up and then add the marinated oxtails in it. Braise them for 10 minutes on each side. You can do this in batches.
- Transfer to a dish and then use the leftover oil/fat.
Making the Oxtail Stew
- After the oxtails are braised, use the same pot and add the diced onions. Saute for 3 minutes or until the onions are fragrant, then add 2 and a half tbsp of tomato paste, 1 tsp of crushed scotch bonnet, and 4 diced fresh tomatoes.
- Cook until the tomato is soft and then go in with 1 cup of red wine, 4 cups of chicken stock, 1 tsp of curry powder, 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary, 1/2 tsp of browning, a tbsp of beef seasoning, 2 celery stock (chopped) – for flavor; also add the leftover seasoning used for coating the oxtails, and then return the braised oxtails into the stew.
- Braised oxtail stew has more flavor than one made without braising the oxtail.
* Finally, add 2 bay leaves; cover and allow to cook for 1 hour 20 minutes while stirring intermittently.
- After an hour and 20 minutes, add diced carrots and potatoes and stir to combine; then cook for 40 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Turn off the heat, your easy homemade oxtail stew is ready. It can be served with rice or pasta.