This type of cream is known as swiss meringue and often used for icing cake or pastry. The taste is almost similar to normal whipped cream. It is the best substitute for whipped cream for cake during a scarce period and it is cheap and affordable.
Some precautions you need to know is that the vessel and electric beater must be clean and dry to prevent water from ruining it. Also, the egg yolk should not be included because even a small quantity can cause failure.
- 2 Egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of Sugar. You can use icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon juice
- Vanilla flavor; I love mine flavored, that is why I am using vanilla to give the flavor I want. You can use banana, strawberry, mango, or milk flavor.
Uses in recipes
- Ice cream
- Decorating of pies
You can use a dispenser or make use of homemade piping bags with nozzles to decorate your cake.
How to make whipped cream at Home
- First, break 2 eggs and pour only the egg white into the mixing bowl
- Add your sugar, salt and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the sugar
- Heat the mixture by placing the bowl over a boiling pot just to help denature the proteins in the egg and also dissolve the sugar completely. You don’t want this to boil. If you like the eggs raw, no need to heat it.
- Bring it down from the heat and allow it to cool a bit
- Use your electric beater or hand mixer and mix till you have a thick consistency. This process takes about 7 minutes of whipping to turn the egg whites into homemade whipped cream. If you are whisking with hand and without a mixer or electric beater, it is going to take longer.
This homemade whipping cream recipe can be used for cake frostings or icing and gives the same appearance to your cake decoration just the same way as the regular brands you buy in the market or stores.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.