In this article, I will be showing you how to make piping gel at home for cake decoration and lettering. With this easy homemade piping gel recipe using cornflour, you can use it to write on cakes. You can easily replicate these piping techniques for cakes by watching this Youtube video below to learn how to make a piping gel for your cake recipe (when you watch to end, I showed how to make the lettering using my homemade piping nozzles and the lettering patterns).
This is an easy recipe for your cakes. It is a perfect homemade cake decoration that you don’t need to spend money to buy a piping gel at the stores. Follow these easy baking ideas and tutorials to make a homemade piping gel for lettering on cakes.
- 1/2 cup of water to dissolve the cornflour and sugar.
- half cup of white granulated sugar; you can also use powdered sugar/icing sugar. If you are using icing sugar, no need for corn flour again because icing sugar contains cornflour.
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour (cornstarch). If you are using powdered sugar, no need for this.
How to make piping gel recipe at Home
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix your cornflour and sugar a bowl
- Stir until the mixture is completely dissolved in the water
- Place a pan on medium heat and pour your corn flour, sugar and water mixture
- Continuously stir the mixture until you have a jelly consistency that is runny but not completely thick. When it becomes too thick, you can add more water and stir. If it is too runny, add 1 tablespoon of cornflour again and stir. Failure to stir continuously, you will have balls or lumps forming in the piping gel.
- When you have the required consistency after cooking on flame for 5 minutes; turn off the heat.
- Allow to cool and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add your food coloring, this could be liquid or powdered food color. Mix thoroughly until it combines very well.
- Your piping gel recipe for cake lettering is ready.
Filling the piping bags and designing your cakes
You can use it to fill the piping bags and use any calligraphic writing of choice. Even the piping bags can be made at home with a polythene bag and a sealing machine or a pressing iron or simply use a sealing tape.