Hair serves the aesthetic function of adding beauty to the human body and also helps in collection of sweat, protect the skin from the harmful effect of ultraviolet rays and and foreign objects that could penetrate or harm the body. For you to achieve or have healthy hair,you need to pay good attention to your hair especially the hair on your head. The hair needs proper treatments,care and maintenance in other to grow well. It is very easy to make this happen even though there are several products out there in the market that claim to give you long and healthy hair,not all of them that work. You can take healthy diet and include some natural products in your diet in order to achieve healthy and long hair rather than including harmful or harsh chemicals to your health.
Table of Contents
Simple ingredients for hair production and their functions
- Petrolleum jelly – a purified mixture of hydrocarbon known as alkane obtained from refining petrol is used for treatment of burns,cuts,rashes,damaged feet,cracked lips and protection against cold and serves also as moisturizer to block the trans-epidermal water loss and traps the water under the skin. petroleum jelly in hair products function as to seal split ends on strands of hair,giving hair some deserved shine.
- Lanolin – a greasy material produced by the sebaceous glands of sheep or sheep wool. It acts as an excellent moisturizer for dry skin and hair and also function as an effective water barrier, i.e preventing further water escape(it holds moisture to the skin).
- Paraffin Wax– a wax-like solid that is a mixture of saturated hydrocarbons which are created by the distillation from Petroleum. Paraffin is typically used in cosmetics,candles polish and hair products-it serves as sealing/water proofing compound and also for treatment of hand and feet.
- Paraffin Oil -is used in lotions and creams,it serves as emollient which helps to seal moisture in the skin to prevent it from drying. Note: paraffin oil is harmful if swallowed or inhaled; inhaling paraffin oil can lead to nausea,diarrhea or vomiting,irritation of skin,eye and respiratory tracts.
- Industrial camphor – has numerous therapeutic qualities. The powerful fragrance of camphor isn’t the only attraction in the chemical-it eliminates ache,scalp itching,prevents burn,scars,cracked heel,promotes hair growth by fortifying the hair roots as well as keeping it gleaming and it also combat hair loss.
- Menthol/peppermint – an antiseptic in nature,it helps to prevent dandruff and lice in addition to its usual cooling effect,providing an immediate relief from pain ,itchy scalp, fungus and bacteria,giving a refreshing sensation to the scalp.
- Glycerin-this helps to prevent breakage,especially while combing, de-tangling or manipulating hair when wet.
- Vitamin E– is a great stimulant for growth of capillaries, when the capillaries are healthy and profuse, the blood circulation in the scalp would be enhanced which will also promote strong and healthy hair growth,it slows down premature aging,promotes lustrous hair and prevent split ends.
Quantity of ingredients needed for moisturizing hair cream
- Petrolleum jelly-1 and half cooking spoon
- Lanolin-1 table spoon
- Paraffin wax-little
- Paraffin oil-2 and half cooking spoons
- Menthol/peppermint-2 table spoons
- Industrial campor-3 table spoons
- Vitamin E- 3 table spoons
- Glycerin- 2 table spoons
- Perfume- as desired
- Colour- 1/2 tablespoon(optional)
- Put a dry clean pot on heat
- Add paraffin oil and petroleum jelly; allow them to dissolve and blend properly
- Add lanolin and paraffin wax
- Add glycerin,vitamin E,
- Put off the heat and bring the pot down,allow to cool for about 4 minutes.
- Add menthol/peppermint,camphor, fragrance and colourant and leave to cool a bit
- Scoop into a sterilzed jar(container) capping it with tight fitting lid and allow to sit over night till the content settles down.
- Your hair cream is ready.
Always feel free to make suggestion or ask any question where necessary.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.