Toilet is one of the important places in our homes without which our apartment is incomplete. Sometimes, We tend to neglect that smallest part of the building thinking that it is suppose to be the dirtiest not to be considered but there are things you can do on your own to keep your toilet sparkling clean. Although there are lots of chemicals out there in the market for cleaning of toilet, you have to know that most of them are toxic and very corrosive because of the chemicals used in producing them. Most of the producers won’t tell you how harmful these chemicals are to health but thank God I did, in order to save your life and that of others.
Here are some of the chemicals found in some toilet wash and their side effects:
Materials and Chemicals for making Homemade (DIY) Toilet wash
- Hydrochloric acid: this chemical is dangerous to humans and pets, it can cause skin,eye,nose,throat,sinus and lungs irritation; it damages the kidneys,liver and central nervous system. It is a deadly poison when swallowed.
- Sulphuric acid(H2S04):-Sulphuric acid releases fumes when mixed with water which is very corrosive and harmful to the lungs,mucosal lining, inner lining of the lungs,pharynx ,and trachea. Repetitive inhalation can lead to chemical Pneumonia,additionally, if inhaled continuously can result to loss in the Sponginess of the lungs which is an irreversible process and can lead to an ailment called restricted air way disease. If at all you are using a toilet wash that contain any of this harmful chemicals,do away with it or start producing a non harmful one like the one I am about to explain soon. Enough of spending money on those harmful toilet wash! start saving and leave healthy by producing natural toilet wash all by your self. It is so simple and so economical. Yes, you have what it takes to produce them all in your kitchen cupboard. I mean those friendly products you use for your baking,detergent, cosmetic,facial cleansing,foods and in drinks, all you need to do is to lay your hands on them and produce something out of them by doing this you would not go to spend on those harmful chemicals again. so this is it.
- If at all you want to make synthetic toilet wash withthe above chemicals, used them in moderate quantity and with care.you can substitute any detergent for sulphuric acid rather than using it because it is very corrosive.For 2 litres of Toilet wash,you will need the following
- Hydrochloric acid 2cups
- Texapon, cup
- Sada ash, cup. It should be dissolved over night before usage
- detergent, 50g
- Liquid colorant, (as desired) optional
- Fragrance (as desire)
- Water, 2 litres
steps on how to make this
- Measure texapon into an empty bowl and dilute with 1 cup of water
- add the dissolvedsoda ash and mix properly.
- Add the detergent in place of sulphuric acid and stir. you have to slow down when you notice a lot of foaming.
- Gently pour in Hydrochloric acid and stir to dissolve
- Add colour and stir
- Lastly, add any fragrance of your choice and more water if needed anstir. Leave it to rest for 20 minute before packaging in to a pump bottle.
Chemicals for natural toilet wash and their functions
- Baking Soda which is also known as Nahcolite, is part of the natural natron which contain large amount of sodium bicarbonate and is not only use for insect bites,teeth whitening,heartburns, deodorants etc, but can also be use as toilet cleaner. Baking soda is a pure bicarbonate of soda which acts as a buffer,neutralizing both acid alkaline substances to regulate PH. it serves as odour remover with inexpensive and environmental friendly fragrance, free and non toxic to humans when used to clean our toilets.
- Lemon juice/citric acid are natural disinfectant and stain remover because of their acidity. lemon juice binds the stains in toilet, making them more easier to eliminate, and may help to diminish tough toilet stains left by hard water and also leave your toilet with pleasant scent which is an added advantage.
- Borax (sodium borate) is a naturally occurring substance that is environmental friendly and still can be dangerous to kids and pet(use it cautiously). Borax has wide variety of uses,it is a component of many detergents,cosmetics and enamel glazes and is also use to make buffer solution in biochemistry, as a fire retardant,as an anti fungal compound etc.
- White vinegar is a mild acid and most versatile of all products in your kitchen pantry- it has an effective way of getting rid of stubborn stains in your toilet bowl. Stains are often caused by alkaline deposit and they can be eliminated by applying white vinegar to your toilet bowl. Vinegar eliminates toilet odour and also stand against future stain from appearing.
- Essential oil are natural oil having the odour of plants or other source from which it was extracted from. Natural oil are generally extracted by distillation (that is, by using steam ) and there are different types used in different products like perfumes,cosmetics, soap and other products for flavoring food and drinks and for adding scent to incense and household cleaning products.
Measurements and quantities of Chemicals needed for Production of Toilet Wash
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 Cup of borax
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup citric acd (lemon juice)
- 10 drops of essential oil.
Production Process of Home-made DIY Toilet wash
- Measure the Baking soda into an empty bowl
- Add borax to it and stir
- Add white vinegar
- Add citric acid
- Finally add essential oil and stir vigorously until all the ingredients are combined and well dissolved.
- Your toilet wash is ready!
- Using a small funnel, scoop the mixture into a squirt bottle or any bottle of your choice. Squirt in the toilet bowl and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes and use brush to scrub it, then flush it with water.
Note: always store in a good temperature and shake before using.