Pepper soup is really a comforting dish during cold time, but even during normal or hot weather, pepper soup is well acceptable.Yam with catfish pepper soup is a special yam recipe and another form of making pepper soup with catfish; this pepper soup is very simple and healthy for everyone. Yam with catfish pepper soup is simply parboiled yam cooked in fish broth. The fish can be substituted with assorted meat, beef, goat meat or chicken and any kind of fish can be used to prepare this recipe apart from catfish. This yam with catfish pepper soup is also one of the recommended healthy pepper soup recipes for any one as you will get to enjoy the spicy yam which has absorbed the rich flavour from all the ingredients that was used to cook the catfish. Additionally, you can use potato, unripe plantain, cocoyam corms and agidi to cook with this catfish recipe. Just make sure you have your preferred pepper soup ingredients so as to achieve a delicious and flavourful pepper soup broth at the end. you may also learn how to make chicken peppersoup here.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for cooking yam with catfish pepper soup
- 8 pieces of yam chunks
- 1 catfish
- 3 cubes of bullion or Knorr
- 3 pieces of African nutmeg (ehuru) roasted and peeled
- 1 ball onion, chopped
- 2 table spoons ground crayfish, optional
- 3 fresh scotch bonnet or hot chilli powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 pieces of uda (traditional seasoning) deseeded
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 table spoons of uzizia leaves or basil, copped
Make sure you have blended all the seasonings, the onion is chopped and the catfish is washed; see how to wash catfish here.
Directions for preparing yam with catfish pepper soup
- Peel yam and rinse into a medium pot of water and season with a pinch of salt.
- Place the yam on heat to cook for about 15 minutes.
- Season catfish with 2 seasoning cubes, onions, curry, thyme, salt, garlic and place on stove to cook.
- Add the other blended seasonings to the catfish- nutmeg, uda, and 1 cup of water
- Leave the fish to cook for about 8 minutes. Just after 8 minutes, transfer the cooked yam to the fish.
- Add chopped uziza and gently stir the content to combine. Let this simmer slowly on a low heat until the yam pieces have absorbed the flavour of the fish.
- Serve your spicy yam and catfish pepper soup with soft drink. Enjoy!
Steps on how make yam with catfish pepper soup
- peel and cut yam into a medium pot and cook in salted water for 15 minutes
2. Season catfish with 2 seasoning cubes, pepper, thyme, curry, garlic and onions. cook the catfish on a low heat
3. Add the other blended seasonings to the catfish- nutmeg, uda, and 1 cup of water.
4. Leave the fish to cook for about 8 minutes. Just after 8 minutes, transfer the cooked yam to the fish.
5.Add chopped uziza and gently stir the content to combine. Let this simmer slowly on a low heat until the yam pieces have absorbed the flavour of the fish.
7. Serve your spicy yam and catfish pepper soup with soft drink. Enjoy!