Being lazy is not as if it is a bad thing but sometimes being simple is just better. There are days you wouldnt just feel like to make something serious; imagine that you woke up in the morning and found out that the weather is so cold , probably the rain is falling and you feel like burying your head back inside the blanket to enjoy your sweet sleep, you may not really have the strength to go to the market at that moment because of the rain and you have to hurry to meet up with work and then you suddenly remember that you need to prepare food to eat and you dont have to go about making enormous food because you have no time for that. All you could remember is your left over eggs in the fridge and some tomatoes you have kept for long and there lie in the store your sweet potatoes which have been there for some times now. What are you waiting for? you have to quickly fix these up for breakfast within few minutes before heading off to work. Am sure you have realised how fast preparing this was, So fast and simple to say?.
When it comes to breakfast, the choices are endless.jollof spaghetti, macaroni, pancakes, plantain chips and Irish or sweet potato chips should be included. Making your own crispy sweet potato chips is fun and well satisfying and easy on your stove top or gas cooker.
Table of Contents
- The difference between sweet Potato and Yam
- Procedures on how to fry sweet potato or kumara chips and scrambled egg sauce
- How to make crunchy and crispy sweet potato (Kumara) chips
- These are the steps to frying your crunchy and crispy potato (kumara) chips
The difference between sweet Potato and Yam
Sweet potato as the name implies,is a dicotyledonous plant with a slightly sweet flesh. The plantbelongs to the family Convolvulaceae. while Yam is a starchy staple that is larger in tuber than sweet potato, it isproduced by annual and perennial vines grown mainly in Africa.Yam belongsto the familyDioscoreaceae.
A lot of people are often confused with the differencebetween sweet potato and yam, these are two different things, which are not closely related and have nothing in common even though they are both tuberous root plants.Sweet potato iscalled by different names in different dialect. for instance, sweet potato is known as ‘kumara’ in New Zealand while in Hindu it is known as ‘Shakarkandi’
The sweet potato or kumara is a tuberous root vegetable plant with a sweet tasting andstachy flesh. The colour of the flesh vary from orange, white, yellow to purple,this is not the same as yam. thetrueyam is actually starchier, with adark-brown bark and white or yellow flesh, it has arough and scaly bark and it is native to Africa and Asia,unlike sweet potatowhich has asmooth skin and is common in many countries of the world.
Sweet potatoes are deliciously packed with a lot of nutrients such as vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium and iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and other trace minerals like selenium, zinc, and copper
Sweet Potato chipsis a popular Nigerian street food which is often displayed alongside with akara, puff-puff, yam chips and plantain chips. Whether boiled, fried or baked in an oven, nothing satisfies easily like sweet potatoes, also see sweet potato hash recipe.
Fried Potato chips is an easy recipe that can be fix within 20 minutes without much stress, just by using the following:
Ingredients for frying crispy sweet potato or kumara chips.
- 4 Medium size sweet potatoes
- 30cl Vegetable oil
- 4 medium size fresh tomatoes
- I Ball onion
- Chilli pepper
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon curry powder and thyme
- 1 Seasoning cube
- Salt to taste
Procedures on how to fry sweet potato or kumara chips and scrambled egg sauce
- With a kitchen knife, peel off the potatoes skin and drop in a bowl of water
- Start slicing the peel potatoes into rectangular or circular shapes, rinse into an empty bowl. Sprinkle salt, toast it thoroughly to enable the salt mix properly and leave it to sit for a couple of minutes.
3. Set your frying pan on heat, add oil to it and wait for the oil to heat up, you can drop a slice of onions to it to check if it is hot.
4. Start frying the sliced potatoes. Never over crowd the pan as this could lead tooil splattering. You can fry them in batches.
5. When one side is slightly brown use a frying spoon to turn over the other side till you are done with all the slices in the bowl
6. Drain the chips in a colander
7. Leave the oil to cool while chopping the tomatoes, onion and also whisking the egg. Sprinkle a little salt to the egg.
8. When the oil has cool down, pour it into a different container and remain very little quantityjust for the tomatoes and the egg.
9.Reheat the oil and fry the tomato and onions till very soft. Add of the seasoning cube, salt and curry powder and stir.
10. Spread the egg over the tomato and allow one side to get fried.
11. Turn over to the other side and allow to it fry properly. stir the egg and the tomatoes to get an even sauce.
12.Remove from heat and serve with the fried potato chips.
How to make crunchy and crispy sweet potato (Kumara) chips
Here is another style of frying sweet potato chips. In this case, the chips are thinner, tender and crunchy and golden in the outside but soft in the inside. The normal potato chips we eat every day are sometimes soggy or soak much oil just like the ones we buy by the road side but this particular one is fantastic, it makes some sounds but soft in the inside when eaten. The advantage you get from frying this at home is that you have the chance to use better oil instead of buying from the road side sellers who often used the same oil over and over until the oil turns thick like engine oil.
These are the steps to frying your crunchy and crispy potato (kumara) chips
1. Peel, rinse and slice sweet potatoes very thinly. If possible make the slices to be of equal sizes. Allow the potato slices to sit for at least 10 minutes in salt water.
2. Drain all the liquid and place those slices into a bowl or tray. Sprinkle chilli pepper, curry powder and toss with your hands or spoon to coat the slices and leave to sit for 10 minutes for the water to dry a bit.
3. Heat up oil deep enough to fry at least 2-3 batches. Carefully drop the potato slices into the hot oil and fry till one side is brown, turning over foran even crispier fries. You can as well bake thechips in the oven for 30-35minutes, it is easierusing oven.
4. When all have been fried, drain in a colander and serve as snacks.
Share with us your own methods of frying potato chips on the commment box below after signing in.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.