Moi Moi Recipe: How to Make Moi Moi (Moin Moin)-Beans Pudding

Photo of Moi Moi Recipe: How to Make Moi Moi  (Moin Moin)-Beans Pudding

Moi moi or moin moin is the food I grew up eating every Saturday morning, this used to be one of the most boring food for me because it was always paired with pap (akamu) or custard which I never like. However, I started loving moi moi, but not so much just because of the fish and egg stuffed inside of the beans pudding.

Moi moi recipe is one of the simplest and easiest recipe any one would love to try out, it is usually prepared by steaming. Instead of steaming your moi moi, you can also bake it in the oven by placing your loaf pan or moi moi bowls in a bigger loaf pan filled with water and then bake at 350 oF for 35 minutes or until the liquid dries in the moi moi. Moi moi is a versatile food; it pairs well with akamu, acha pudding, garri, jollof rice and even sometimes moi moi is served with Quaker oat.

Moi moi means beans pudding or beans cake, it is sometimes pronounced as moin moin by some individuals. There are different ways to make Nigerian moi moi, you can make moi moi with leaves, containers or with foil paper. Moi moi can be wrapped with banana leaves or with ewe, this is the traditional way of making moi moi, however, if you live where there is no access to moi moi leaves, you can use containers, foil papers or plates to make your moi moi, these work well for this recipe too.

Here in this article you are going to learn how to make moi moi with fish and egg; I will be very brief about the steps.

Table of Contents

Ingredients for moi moi

1. 2 cups of beans (black eyed beans)
  2. 1 frozen mackerel, cut into medium sizes
  3. 3 bell peppers (tatashe)
  4. 4 medium tomatoes, optional
  5. 3 scotch bonnet peppers (Ata Rodo)
  6. cup of crayfish, rinsed
  7. 2 medium onions
  8. 1 teaspoon curry powder
  9. 4 eggs (2 hard boiled and two raw eggs)
  10. 1 teaspoon thyme
  11. 2 stock cubes
  12. 3 table spoon cooking oil
  13. Salt to taste
  14. Moi moi containers/bowls

Just before making your moi moi

1. Add beans into a wide bowl and top up with cool water, leave beans to stay overnight or for 6 hours to absorbed water and easy to peel.
  2. Use a mortar and pestle to gently peel the beans or use hand to peel the beans skin by rubbing beans against your palms.
  3. Add water to the beans and pass it over a colander to strain out the peeled skin, add clean water to the beans to rinse properly.
  4. Cut bell peppers and onions into smaller sizes. Season and cook the mackerel to extract some rich stock after that take out the bones and use a fork to shred the fish into smaller. Place 2 stock cube in a bowl with alt, use the hot fish stock to dissolve it and set aside
  5. Boil eggs and slice them into circular shapes. Oil inside of the moi moi bowls/pans with a little oil or butter and set everything aside.

Directions on How to Make Moi Moi

1. Combine beans, red bell pepper, onion, crayfish and cup of water in a blender, blend until the barter turns out very smooth.
  2. Pour beans into a wide bowl, season with the dissolved stock cube, salt, curry powder, thyme and stir very well until well incorporate.
  3. Add the fish stock to the beans to adjust the consistency (it should be neither watery nor too thick).
  4. Pour the mixed bean barter into your moi moi bowls half way full; dont full the bowls to the brim because moi moi tends to swell as it cooks.
  5. Combine the hard-boiled eggs and the shredded fish to the moi moi in the bowls.
  6. Add about two cups of water to a wide pot, place the moi moi in the pot of water and place a lid over the pot with a foil paper wrapped over it. This will help to trap in air while the moi moi is steaming.
  7. Place the moi moi on heat to cook for 20 minutes to cook; exchange the position if you can by taking the moi moi bowls below to the top and the ones at the top to the bottom of the pot so that the heat get distributed evenly to each of the bowls. Also, add small quantity of water at time while cooking the Moi Moi.
    After cooking moi moi for another extra 20 minutes, insert a fork or tooth pick inside it to check if the liquid is dried, ones it comes out dry it means moi moi is done.
  8. Take the pot off heat moi moi is cooked, serve warm with rice or pap.

Simple Directions on How to Make Moi Moi with Pictures

Peeling of beans for moi moi recipe
Peeling of beans for moi moi recipe

after the beans have been peeled beans for moi moi
after the beans have been peeled beans for moi moi

Combine all the moi moi ingredient together to blend. I love the taste of crayfish in my moi moi, it is optional if you don
Combine all the moi moi ingredient together to blend. I love the taste of crayfish in my moi moi, it is optional if you don’t like it

Bean barter for moi moi recipe, you can also use bean flour to prepare this simple bean pudding
Bean barter for moi moi recipe, you can also use bean flour to prepare this simple bean pudding

Pour beans into a wide bowl, season with the dissolved stock cube, salt, curry powder, thyme and stir very well until well incorporate.

Add the fish stock to the beans to adjust the consistency (it should be neither watery nor too thick).

Seasoning of bean barter for moi moi
Seasoning of bean barter for moi moi

Pour the mixed bean barter into your moi moi bowls half way full; dont full the bowls to the brim because moi moi tends to swell as it cooks.

Combine the hard-boiled eggs and the shredded fish to the moi moi in the bowls.

Moi moi bowls being filled with bean barter, shredded fish and hard-boiled eggs
Moi moi bowls being filled with bean barter, shredded fish and hard-boiled eggs

Add about two cups of water to a wide pot, place the moi moi in the pot of water and place a lid over the pot with a foil paper wrapped over it. This will help to trap in air while the moi moi is steaming.

Steam cook moi moi by placing a foil paper over the pot lid to trap in heat
Steam cook moi moi by placing a foil paper over the pot lid to trap in heat

Interchange position of the bowls by bringing the top down and the down up
Interchange position of the bowls by bringing the top down and the down up

After cooking moi moi for another extra 20 minutes, insert a fork or tooth pick inside it to check if the liquid is dried, ones it comes out dry it means moi moi is done. The cooking time for your moi moi depends on the quantity and the Moi Moi container you used.
Take the pot off heat moi moi is cooked, serve your delicious moi moi warm with rice or pap.

Insert a tooth pick or a fork into the moi moi to check if it is dried, once it comes out dries, moi moi is cooked
Insert a tooth pick or a fork into the moi moi to check if it is dried, once it comes out dries, moi moi is cooked

Moi moi is ready, it goes well with jollof rice, stew and pap
Moi moi is ready, it goes well with jollof rice, stew and pap

Delicious moi moi made with fish and egg. Yummy!!
Delicious moi moi made with fish and egg. Yummy!!