Coconut rice is a special food known among the south-south part of Nigeria.just as the name implies,we used dry matured Coconut fruit to prepare it and no addition of palm or groundnut oil in it or even tomatoes,the milk from the Coconut will difinately produce its own oil. Coconut rice is almost similar to jollof rice only that it has a different taste and aroma entirely,the ingredients used in its preparation is a bit different and the colour of Coconut rice is also different from that of jollof rice.
Reguirement for preparation of Coconut rice
– 2 round Coconut fruits(dry matured Coconuts)
– 3-4cups of rice
– fresh or chilli pepper (grinded)
-2cups of crayfish (grinded)
– 1 cup of green beans, carrots
– Ice,smoke or dry fish any amountor quantity (chicken meat-optional)
– 2 balls of onions
– 1 satchet of curry and thyme
– 3-4 cubes of maggi,royco,suppy,doyin (seasoning)
-Salt to taste
Procedures for making Coconut Rice
- Parboil the rice, wash it and keep aside.
Note:don’t allow the rice to become soft because you still need to cook it again with the coconut milk and ingredients.
- Break the coconut and remove it from its shell, grate it into tiny particles with the use of grater and a bowl.After grating the coconut, you can either use 2 cups of warm or cold water to mix it thoroughly until all the milk in it comes out from the chaff. Then use kolender or sieve with tiny holes to sieve the milk out into a different bowl anddon’t throw away the chaff yet becauseyou may needit if the rice is notsoft. Meanwhile,you can add the real coconut water to the milk you have filtered and pour it into a big pot.
- Steam the meat or the ice fish and add the stalk into the same pot but don’t put the fish yet so that they won’t scatter and don’t allow the water to be too much since the rice has already been parboiled.
- Add the crayfish,pepper,maggi (seasonings),and the onions. You don’t have to add the carrots and green beans yet.
- Pour the parboiled rice into the pot together withthe fish or meat and stir.Cover the pot and put it on heat. You have to be checking it from time to time to knowif the water is dried up and also if the rice is not soft enough. Use warm or cold water andmix the coconut chaff again, sieve it and pour it to the rice,but don’t put too much water to avoid water logged coconut rice.
- When the water is almost dried, you can the add your vegetables and cover for few minutes.
- Finally,when the food is well cooked, stir it so that all the ingredients will go round the pot then allow itfor just 5minutes to dry completely on a low heat. Bring it down and serve with juice or you can try it with avocado pear.cheers!!
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.