Yam is one food you can eat over and over without being bored of because there are many healthy recipes for yam and there are lots of ways to style thesehealthy yams recipes; andthey are very simple dishesthat do nottake much time to cook, just about 15-20 minutes yam can be fully cooked. However, boiled yam is even one of the simplest yam recipes, it is just straight forward and you can choose to boil the yam with the skin on or simply peel off the skin before boiling it. One good thing about boiled yam is that you can pair it with tomato stew, vegetable sauce, tomato egg sauce, fried egg, and with palm oil . Also, insted of eating this yam with sauce, it can be eaten with beans porridge.
Yam and sweet potato are two different things; but they go hand in hand, as you can prepare the same dish or recipe with both for instance, if you are making yam porridge, sauce, yam balls, or yam chips, you can use sweet potatoes to cook the same recipe, in this case, you can substitute sweet potato or Irish potato for this yam recipe instead of the normal white yam. For other recipeof yam see here and here.
The above image shows boiled yam with vegetable sauce, I just needed to make the simplest yam dish without much ingredients and activities, so I decided to make something so easy. The above boiled yam is simply made with vegetable sauce with no egg; however, boiled yam with egg sauce is a recipe for another day, you may also like meatball sauce. In this recipe, I used four main ingredients which are ripened tomatoes, onions, peppers and spring onions for the sauce and if you have noticed, all the vegetables are hand chopped because I wanted them to appear a little bit chunky, but you can decide to blend the tomatoes, pepper and onions if you prefer a smooth version of vegetable sauce. There are other versions of yam with vegetable sauce which include the use of bell peppers, tomatoes green beans, runner peas and carrots which is very delicious and appears even colourful. When making boiled yam and vegetable sauce, there are so many leafy vegetables you can choose from- parsley, celery, fluted pumpkin (ugwu), lentil or spinach and the like. You should make use of your preferred vegetables and therefore decide whether you need egg, fish or shredded meat for the sauce or you just need it simple like I did and without wasting much time, let just go straight this easy boiled yam and vegetable sauce.
Table of Contents
Ingredients for cooking boiled yam and vegetable sauce
- 1 medium tuber of white yam for 5 servings
- 8 medium red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 sticks spring onions, chopped
- 1 big size onion, chopped
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped
- 1 seasoning cube
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- teaspoon nutmeg
- teaspoon thyme
- teaspoon curry powder
- 20cl vegetable oil
- salt to taste
Directions to cook boiled yam and vegetable sauce
- Peel, rinse and cut yam into thick rectangular strips.
- Cook yam with mild salted water for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Bring the yam off from heat and drain the water out and then keep aside.
- Heat a pan with vegetable oil saut onions and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomato, pepper and fry for 5 minutes until the tomato is soft.
- Season with nutmeg, thyme, curry, seasoning cube, salt and stir, cover the pot lid to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add spring onions and stir to combine, leave to cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with boiled yam.
Easy steps to cook boiled yam and vegetable sauce
- Peel yam, rinse and cut into thick rectangular strips. Place yams in mild salted water and cook for about 15-20 minutes or cook the yam till it gets soft.
2. Once the yam is soft, remove from heat and drain out the liquid, cover the lid and keep aside.
Vegetable sauce for white boiled yam
3.Heat a dry pan on stove and add some vegetable oil into it, add onions, garlic and saut for 1 minute.
4. Add chopped tomato, pepper and fry for 5 minutes on a medium heat; season the sauce with nutmeg, thyme, curry, 1 seasoning cube and a pinch of salt. Stir and cover the lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes more.
5. Add spring onions into the content, stir and have a taste of it, let it cook for 3 minutes.
6. Now you have your boiled yam and vegetable sauce ready. Remove the sauce from heat and serve with boiled yam.