Table of Contents
What is Egg Foo Young?
Egg foo young is a Chinese omelet that is made with various vegetables. It is also called or spelled as Egg fooyung, egg foo yong, egg foo yung, or egg fu yung. Different types of meat can be used for preparing egg foo young such as roast pork, shrimp, chicken, beef, or lobster.
- 5 Large Eggs
- 100 grams of Minced Pork
- 50 grams of shredded Carrots
- 6 tsp of Vegetable Oil
- 50 grams of shredded Cabbage
- 30 grams of chopped Celery stick
- 1 chopped stick of green Onions
- 50 grams of sliced Onions
- 15 pieces of fresh Shrimps
- 1/2 tsp of Cornstarch (Cornflour)
- 1 chopped Red Chili Pepper
- 1/4 tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tsp of Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp of Salt.
How to Make Egg Foo Young
- Season the minced pork with a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder, and 1/2 tsp of cornstarch. Mix to combine.
- Place a pan on the heat and add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. Allow it to heat up and add the seasoned minced pork.
- Stir fry the seasoned pork until it is slightly brown. This can take 4 minutes to saute the pork; then remove from the pan and keep aside in a dish.
- Now, chopped the fresh shrimps (that have been deveined) into small sizes. It makes it easier and faster to cook. Alsoset the chopped shrimps aside.
- In a mixing bowl, break the 5 eggs and whisk into a smooth batter and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, bring in the shredded vegetables: cabbage, carrots, celery stick, and chopped green onion stick. Also add the chopped onions and red chili pepper. You can add other vegetables such as chives, leek, or beans sprout. To the same bowl, add the stir-fried pork, chopped shrimp, and whisked egg.
- Season with 1/2 tsp of black pepper powder, 2 tsp of oyster sauce, a tbsp of soy sauce, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Place a wok on high heat and add 1 tsp of cooking oil. Allow the oil to heat up then reduce the heat to low.
- Scoop 1/2 a cup of the vegetables and egg mixture into the wok. Fry for 1 minute until it is golden brown on one side and then flip to the other side and fry also for another minute until it is golden brown.
Making a gravy sauce for this Egg foo young recipe
A) Ingredients for the gravy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Soy Sauce and 1 tbsp of Oyster Sauce
- One tsp of white granulated Sugar
- A tbsp of Cornstarch
- 1 cup of Chicken broth.
B). Making a gravy sauce
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, a tsp of granulated white sugar, 1 tbsp of cornstarch, and 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Mix until the cornflour dissolves and then turn on the heat.
- Keep stirring the sauce until it thickens. Turn off the heat and drizzle the gravy sauce on the egg foo young recipe.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.