Chicken à la King means ‘King-style chicken’. It is a creamy sauce made with diced chicken, sherry wine, pimiento peppers, mushrooms, and some vegetables such as green peas. Chicken a la king is usually served over rice, noodles, or bread. The place of origin is disputed and was often served in a vol-au-vent or pastry case.
- 300 grams of cooked and Diced Chicken
- 150g of Mushrooms
- 1/4 cup of Pimiento Pepper
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 1/2 tsp of Black Pepper Powder
- 2 and a half tbsp of Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 large sliced Onion
- 2 tbsp of Sherry Wine
- 200ml of whole Milk
- 2 tbsp of All-purpose flour. This serves as a thickener for this chicken ala king recipe.
- Chicken Stock ( or water and 2 chicken seasoning cubes)
How to Make Chicken a la King
- To a pan, add 1 tbsp of Olive oil and allow it to heat up.
- Once the oil is heated, add 150 grams of drained mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and keep them aside in a dish.
- To the same pan, add 1 and a half tbsp of olive oil, allow the oil to heat up, and then add onions; saute the onions until fragrant, and then add in 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add 280 ml of warm water or chicken stock. When using water, it is best you add about 2 chicken seasoning cubes.
- To make our chicken a la king creamy, add 200ml of whole milk. skimmed milk can be used as well.
- Now, season with salt, thyme, and black pepper powder.
- Also, add the vegetables: peas and cherry peppers. Add the sherry wine and stir to combine then cover and allow cooking for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the chicken and stir-fried mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes or until the chicken cooks through.
- Turn off the heat and serve your Chicken à la King over rice, noodles, or bread.