Easy Spanish Rice Recipe made with simple ingredients and seasonings. You can add beans, ground beef, or chicken to your Authentic Spanish Rice. Spanish rice is also known as Mexican rice but the Mexican style of cooking is different.
Table of Contents
Spanish Vs Mexican Rice Differences
- Their differences lie in the fact that Spanish rice looks yellowish in color while Mexican rice looks red in color.
- Spanish rice is firm while the Mexican style is soft.
- Saffron is mostly used in the Spanish cooking while Cumin is mostly used in Mexican cooking.
- In the Spanish style, the rice is fried and then sauteed with chopped vegetables before cooking while in Mexican rice, the rice is sauteed and cooked before adding ingredients.
Some people refer to both the Spanish and Mexican rice recipes as the same.
Ingredients and Seasoning
- 1 and a half cup of Long grain rice or Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup of Sweet Corn kernels
- 4 minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp of Tomato sauce and 2 tbsp of Tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of Olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder or Saffron
- Quarter cup of Peas
- 1/2 tsp of Oregano
- 1 Chopped Red bell pepper and 1 Chopped Green bell pepper.
- 2 and a half cup of Meat broth: could be beef or chicken broth.
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1/2 tsp of Red Chili pepper and 1/2 tsp of Cumin
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Handful of Green Onions (spring onions)
- 1 chopped Green Chili
- Handful of chopped Celery
How to Make Spanish Rice
- First, wash and drain your long grain rice or Basmati rice
- Add 3 tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan/skillet and then add your minced garlic and onions once the oil is heated. Saute it for 30 seconds.
- Now add the drained rice into the oil and saute it for 3 minutes or until the rice starts to turn brown in color. Remember to keep stirring it to prevent the rice from getting burnt.
- Add the tomato paste and sauce, green and red bell peppers, and peas. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Then add your seasoning: cumin, oregano, chili, and saffron (or turmeric).
- Add the salt, stir, cover and allow to cook until the rice is tender.
- Just before the water is dried in the rice, add green chili, green onions, sweet corn kernels, and the celery. Stir to combine and allow to cook until the water dries up.
You can enjoy your rice with beans, chicken, or beef added to it. It can be served as a main dish or a side dish. The amount of vegetable added is totally optional, the style of cooking and the color of the sauteed rice is what makes this recipe unique.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.