Chicken fajitas are my go-to delicious and healthy Mexican food that I can’t really get over up till now. This is a one-pan chicken recipe that is ready in 30 minutes and is great on warm tortillas with some simple toppings.
Making chicken fajitas can be quite easy and straight forward, the chicken is generously seasoned and pan-seared until it has cooked through, it is then stirred together with some colorful sauteed bell peppers and onion. When it comes to serving chicken fajitas I have several options for you. You can eat your fajitas right inside the skillet or transfer to warm tortillas and place some fresh toppings such as sour cream, salsa, or guacamole on top. This chicken fajitas can also go as a side dish with cilantro lime rice, pasta or salads and so many other foods that you can think of.
Other fashions of this recipe include vegetable fajitas which are best for vegetarians, shrimp, and steak fajitas.
A simple tip to improve the taste of your chicken fajitas is to drizzle some fresh lemon juice over the chicken and the veggies; this way, you will end up with a slightly acidic taste and an amazing blend of flavors. Another thing is cooking the chicken breast or thigh in whole; this will certainly bring out the juiciness in the chicken. Cooking the chicken in strips will dry all the juices from the flesh of the chicken leaving you with some hard chicken strips.
Table of Contents
Chicken fajita seasoning
It is also very important to make your own blend of fajita seasoning, the seasoning doesn’t have to be a complicated one. The chicken fajita recipe was seasoned with a blend of homemade spices. There was no need of running to the store to buy a pre-made spice for it. You can simply combine some spices that you already have at home to make this. This ensures you don’t end up with so many unhealthy additives and a salty fajita seasoning. I like to combine the commonest and affordable seasonings for my chicken fajitas and these include:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1tsp red chili powder
- 1tsp of black pepper
- 1/2tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of salt.
Just mix all the above seasonings in one bowl then use it to rub on the chicken before pan-searing it. This way, you will end up with crisp- charred outer layers which in turn adds to the flavor of your stir-fried veggies.
Chicken fajita ingredients
- 3 Small-sized chicken breasts
- 1Red bell pepper
- 1Green bell peppers
- 1 Yellow bell peppers
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Chopped medium-sized onion
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
- Assemble the chicken breasts on a flat surface and make sure there is no water on them. You can dap the surface with some paper towels.
- Generously sprinkle the fajitas seasoning to coat the chicken flesh and use your hand to rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken until well coated.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or a nonstick pan, add 3 tablespoons of oil and wait to heat up. Transfer the seasoned chicken pieces to the pan and sear each side for about 5 to 8 minutes until beautifully charred.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut all the bell peppers and onion into long stands and set all aside.
- Once the chicken pieces are beautifully charred, remove them from the pan and set aside to cool down. Use a sharp knife to cut into long strips and set them aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion for 2 minutes or until fragrant; add the bell peppers and saute for 4 minutes. You can season the veggies with the remaining seasoning or with just salt.
- Add back the cooked chicken and drizzle some fresh lemon juice over it; stir everything together to combine and cook for few more minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and scoop your chicken fajita into a warm corn tortilla or flour tortilla as it is traditionally served. Add a few more toppings like salsa, avocado slices, sour cream, and enjoy immediately.
The chicken fajita recipe is mostly prepared on a grill or cast-iron skillet. However, if you don’t have any of these feel free to use a nonstick pan or just bake your chicken fajitas in the oven