Hey guys, we’re making tomato soup today, tomato soup recipe can be made in different ways, some people love their soup to be thin, creamy, thick, light, or chunky in texture. You can decide to add chicken broth, vegetable broth, sour cream, meatballs, butter, or milk to your tomato soup. or keep it very simple with very few ingredients.
This is a simple and easy tomato soup recipe with low calories and low carb; it is the best tomato soup you will make at home with fresh organic tomatoes and some herbs such as basil, oregano, or parsley. It is healthy and made with simple ingredients. I love my tomato soup to be a little bit creamy, so, I decided to puree into a smooth consistency to achieve that. I also added a little spoon of butter, butter helps to improve the texture and creaminess of this soup.
If you are in summer already where you are, this is the perfect time to make use of your ripe tomatoes and prepare few tomato recipes such as tomato sauce, tomato soup, tomato stew, and tomato salad. You may like to pair your tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, mozzarella sticks, sausage, shrimp ceviche, or baked potatoes. Nothing satisfies like this tomato soup, it has a rich tomato flavor, it is creamy, kids friendly and very easy to put together within a short time. This is also best for vegan, you can use vegetable broth to replace the beef broth; aside from that, every other ingredient can be adjusted to satisfy your taste.
You can also see the Youtube video below on how to make tomato soup
I used dried herbs for this recipe, but fresh herbs like basil, oregano, or parsley are also great if you have any. You can even convert it to tomato basil soup if you have some fresh basil in your pantry. This soup doesn’t require corn flour for thickening, the tomato is cooked to achieve that and butter also does the job.
Table of Contents
Tomato soup Vs Tomato sauce
The main difference between tomato soup and tomato soup is their texture. Tomato soup is smooth and creamy while tomato sauce is chunky. I have made this flavourful tomato sauce earlier, you can check it out
Ingredients for Tomato Soup Recipe
- 8 -10 Fresh organic tomatoes, peeled canned tomatoes can be used as well
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- A pinch of salt to taste.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Teaspoon of Oregano, Parsley, or Basil leaves
- Olive oil or any cooking oil of choice, 4 tablespoons
- 4 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 onion bulb
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (to neutralize the tanginess or sour taste of tomatoes). See how to remove the sour taste from tomato stew
How to Make Tomato Soup at Home (Homemade tomato soup)
- First, cut your fresh tomatoes into smaller pieces. Dicing the tomatoes makes it easier to blend later. Chop onion, mince the garlic, and set all aside.
- Place a saucepan on heat, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil; once the oil is hot, add the chopped onions, and garlic. Saute until it is fragrant and translucent.
- Now, add the freshly diced tomatoes with two bay leaves and cook for 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- When the tomatoes have become soft, remove the bay leaves, and turn off the heat.
- Allow it to cool and then blend into a smooth puree. Return the blended tomato paste into the pan again.
- Start adding all the seasonings: a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano, 1/3 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/2 cup of meat stock. Chicken stock or beef stock can be used.
- Once you have added all the seasonings, stir to combine properly; let it cook for 15 minutes, or until the content reduces and thickens up.
- Take it off heat, your creamy homemade tomato soup recipe is ready.
- You can use this to eat white rice, pasta (spaghetti or macaroni), or grilled cheese.
It is healthy, creamy, easy, and simple to make.
Other ingredients such as meat (beef or chicken) can be added.
Every 100 grams of tomato soup made without adding sugar contains 7 grams of carbs; other nutrients depends on what you add to your tomato soup such as meat (source of protein) or cream/butter (source of fats). Every 100 grams of tomato soup contains about 30-kilo calories.