Tabouli, Tabbouleh, or Tabouleh is a salad recipe that originates from Lebanon and Syria. I will show you how to make Tabbouleh salad at home. The main ingredients of Tabbouleh salad are parsley, mint leaves, and bulgur wheat (parboiled groat of wheat). Please note that since bulgur is made from wheat which has gluten, Tabouli is therefore not gluten-free.
Table of Contents
- 1/2 cup of Bulgur Wheat
- 1 bunch of mint leaves
- 3 bunches of parsley
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Chopped tomatoes and cucumber
- 2 squeezed lemons for lemon juice
- Chopped spring onions (green onions)
How to Make Tabbouleh at Home
Preparing the dressing and the vegetables and herbs
- Wash and chop your vegetables. You can use a food processor to chop the vegetables into very small sizes.
- Chop the parsley, mint leaves, tomatoes, onions, and garlic (the garlic is optional).
- Drizzle a pinch of salt to the chopped tomatoes and cucumber and allow the water to drain for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chopped vegetables and herbs into a mixing bowl.
- Make your Tabbouleh salad dressing by mixing 4 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice (1 lemon), and a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
Cooking the Bulgur Wheat
Your Bulgur is already parboiled before being sold, so cooking and using it for this salad recipe will not take much cooking time; just a few minutes would do.
- In a pot of boiling water, add your bulgur wheat and cook for 5 minutes. You can as well add hot water and cover it for 15 minutes. If you are cooking the bulgur, be sure to standby as covering the bulgur while cooking might overflow.
- Once the bulgur is cooked, remove from the heat and drain using a strainer.
Making the Tabbouleh Salad
In the mixing bowl containing the chopped vegetables, pour the salad dressing, and the cooked tabbouleh and mix everything to combine. You can chill the tabbouleh salad in the refrigerator for a few minutes before serving or you can enjoy it right away.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.