A pork chop is the part of the meat of a pig, cut perpendicular to the spine; a pork chop is the meat cut out of the loins of a pig and usually at right angles to the spine; it contains less fat compared to other cuts of pork. For this single reason, the pork chop is the most consumed cut of pork in the United States. It can be eaten as baked pork chops, grilled, or fried. I will be showing you the simple and easy way on how to bake pork chops with no marinade required.
Pork chop is usually cut with a thickness of either 1 cm or 5 cm; it has a light pink or white color. If your pork chops appear grey in color, it has started to spoil or it is simply not fresh.
Table of Contents
How to Cook Pork Chops
There are various ways of preparing any pork chops recipe and this could include grilling, frying, baking, or simply cooking. For this recipe, I will be showing you the baked pork chops recipe.
How long to cook pork chops?
The recommended temperature of cooking pork chop according to the United States department of agriculture (USDA) is a minimum temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit or a minimum of 63 degrees Celsius. This is the temperature at which when pork is cooked makes it safe for eating. This minimum temperature is needed to destroy any worm present in the pork. Therefore, whatever type of method you use for cooking pork chops, be it grilling or frying, make sure the temperature is above 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
How long to bake pork chops?
When baking pork chops, preheat your oven to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then bake for 30 to 35 minutes, depending on how thick the pork chop is.
Ingredients for this Baked Pork Chops Recipe
- 2 pieces of pork chops. You can add any amount you like.
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp of dried parsley leaves
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tbsp of Allspice and 1 tbsp of beef seasoning; this adds to the taste of the baked pork chops.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Lemon. You will squeeze this and use the juice for cleaning the pork.
How to Bake Pork Chops
You can make baked pork chops recipe using the bone-in or boneless pork chops. The bone-in adds flavor and to me, I personally love it with the bones because the taste of the pork chop around the bones/ribs is sweeter than the flesh even though the baked boneless pork chops are juicier when compared with the bone-in. Also, some people prefer eating theirs with the skin but feel free to remove the skin if you want and also skim the fat off the pork if you love it that way.
Steps on how to bake pork chops in the oven
Cleaning and Tenderizing the pork chops
- First, you need to clean the pork chop with lime, lemon, or vinegar. This helps to get rid of any smell and reduces the slime on it while making it tender when cooking. Cut the lemon into 2 halves and use one half to scrub the pork with it.
- After scrubbing the pork, wash with clean water.
- Use a paper towel to pad the pork chop dry; this allows the seasoning that we will be adding later to stick to the pork chops.
- You can cut through the skin of the pork chop to create a gap between each cut segment of the skin. This is needed because if you are baking with the skin, the skin tends to shrink and becomes firm thereby distorting the shape of the baked pork chops. To avoid this, ensure to make slits through the skin.
Seasoning and Baking
- Drizzle about 2 tbsp of olive oil on it, this helps to stick the seasoning to the pork.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the seasoning: oregano, beef seasoning cube, paprika, dried parsley, salt, and allspice. Also, add the onion powder, cumin, and garlic powder; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the seasoning you just prepared on the pork chops. You can use a tray for this or even do it on the baking tray lined with a baking sheet or foil paper. Make sure you rub the seasoning on every part of the pork chops. Season both sides of the pork chops before baking. I usually season even during baking’ I only do this if I did not marinate the pork chops before prior to baking. For this baked pork chop recipe, I did not marinate it, hence the need to use the seasoning generously but for well-marinated pork chops, you can skip this step.
- Once, you are done, transfer the pork chops into the oven bake at a temperature of 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While baking, 15 minutes into the baking, remove from the oven and turn the sides to ensure even baking; that is, the side-lying down should be flip to face up so as to bake also. After flipping, bake for the next 15 minutes to complete the 30 minutes.
- When you are done baking, remove from the oven and enjoy your baked pork chops.
This baked pork chop recipe is juicy and tender. To further make it juicier and succulent, you can brine the pork chops prior to baking or simply wrap it in bacon. Baking longer makes it crunchy and less juicy. It can be eaten with chili sauce, rice, or eaten as it is.
Pork chops recipes which can be grilled pork chop, fried pork chop (pan-seared), or baked pork chop are very high in calories and should be eaten in moderation. The calories and nutrition of broiled pork chops or baked pork chop recipe with bone per 100 grams are summarized below;
100 grams of baked pork chop with bone contains 231 calories, 14 grams of total fat, 24 grams of protein, and no carbs. It also has 78 milligrams of Cholesterol and some vitamins and minerals such as sodium, potassium, iron, magnesium, cobalamin, vitamin D, and vitamin B6.
The percentage daily values recommended based on a 2,000 calorie diet are listed in the nutrition table below.
|Nutrients||% Daily Values|
|Total Fat: 14 g||21%|
|Saturated fat: 4.3 g||21%|
|Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9 g|
|Monounsaturated fat: 4.9 g|
|Trans fat regulation: 0.1 g|
|Cholesterol: 78 mg||26%|
|Sodium: 74 mg||3%|
|Potassium: 315 mg||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 0 g||0%|
|Dietary fiber: 0 g||0%|
|Sugar: 0 g|
|Protein: 24 g||48%|
|Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)||11%|
Some frequently asked questions
Why are my pork chops tough?
Pork chops can become tough when overcooked. When baking, you can wrap them in bacon or brine them prior to baking; this helps to keep the baked pork chops juicy and tender.
How do you tenderize pork chops?
The lime or lemon you used earlier for cleaning the pork chops helps to tenderize it. Other methods include the use of pineapple juice or using a meat tenderizer. Some people even use coca-cola. Usually, the longer you soak in an acidic liquid, the more tender and soft it gets. Soaking overnight is better.
Why do you soak pork chops in milk?
Soaking pork chops in milk helps to tenderize it as well because of the presence of enzymes in the milk. Other methods used include soaking in buttermilk or yogurt.