Peeling garlic cloves is not so difficult as you may think, a lot of people know how to peel garlic cloves their own different ways. But sometimes, to peel garlic skin off can be a little bit tricky and slightly difficult especially if you have to peel large amounts of garlic at the same time.
Garlic is one of the most used ingredients in many recipes; it is known and used widely for its unique aroma and flavor it releases on meals. I used this spice a lot in so many sauces such as garlic butter recipe, chicken stew, garlic bread, boiled chicken, and garlic sauce. In fact, there is hardly a recipe that I don’t use garlic for. I even use it when making porridge beans and chicken curry potato to spice up the taste and aroma of the food.
Table of Contents
Easy methods to peel garlic
There are quite a number of ways to peel garlic easily as some people peel garlic with microwave, garlic peeling machine, or by using garlic peeler method. However, I have come to find out some fast ways of peeling garlic cloves the easily which have turned out to be some of the fastest ways for me to get the skin off garlic cloves. The three fast and easy ways to peel garlic cloves easily are:
- Peeling garlic with a knife
- Using water to peel garlic
- Peeling garlic by shaking in a glass jar
Peeling garlic with a jar
The jar method is very common and it saves time. You need to start by:
- Separating the garlic cloves the head and then removing any loose papery skin first.
- Once you have done that, bring the entire garlic cloves and then placing them in a jar.
- Place a tightly fitting lid over the jar and begin to shake the garlic cloves vigorously for at least 20 seconds.
- The garlic skin will begin to separate as they hit the bottle, keep shaking until all the skins are completely peeled off.
- Open the bottle and empty the garlic on a cutting board, try separating the peeled garlic from the skin. You may have to use your hand to remove the cloves from the loose skin if there is any.
- There may still be some that are not peeled yet, add them back to the jar and shake a few more times until you are done peeling all the garlic skin.
How to peel garlic with water
This is the most efficient method of peeling garlic, this works well if you are going to peel a huge amount of garlic at once. The steps include
- Add about 2 inches of cold water in a medium bowl and bring the garlic cloves into it
- Make sure you use your hand to mix the cloves until they are fully submerged in the water.
- Leave the garlic to sit in the water for 10 minutes until the skin becomes soft and loose.
- After 10 minutes, check the garlic. You can use your hand to firmly rub and squeeze the garlic to remove the loose skin.
- The skin will fall off easily, rub it a little more time until you get all the garlic skin removed.
- Remove the garlic from the water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Mince or chop the garlic and use it for any recipe that calls for garlic.
Peeling garlic cloves with a knife
To peel garlic clove with a knife is quite easy, but this method works well if you are peeling small amounts of garlic or if you going to peel a few numbers of the cloves. The method involves:
- Start by separating the entire garlic cloves from the garlic head or bulb with your fingertips.
- Lay the flat side of the clove down on a cutting board.
- Put the flat side of the kitchen knife on the clove and push against it firmly.
- Once you have firmly press the garlic with a knife, use the heel of your hand to hit it firmly to separate it from the skin. Once done, you can peel away the skin with your hands. This will come out easily.
- You can either mince or chop the garlic clove the way you desire to use in any recipe.