There are more than 10 recipes for egg and omelette is one of the best ways to prepare egg other than cooking it directly. Other things you can prepare with eggs are: vegetable egg sauce, tomato egg sauce, egg casserole, egg salad, hardboiled egg, egg mayonnaise, toasted egg yam (yamarita), egg stew, egg custard, egg rolls, scrambled egg and the list goes on and on. You can try out more egg recipes if you want.
Egg omelette is what I will call scrambled egg roll since it is made from beaten egg and then fried in a pan under a low temperature. The beauty of it all is the way the egg is fried without being stirred like the usual eggs sauce we often make. This makes it easy for the egg to be folded over sandwich or tortilla shells, assuming is what you want to make it into. Another thing that makes up this omelette is the fact that milk can be added to it to make it taste creamier and yummy, better still, you can make your omelette without adding milk to it and replace that with water if you choose to.
Other things that can be added to make omelette are cheese, ham or bacon, they serve as filling and add some nice texture to the omelette, but this is a matter of choice, if you dont like any of the listed ingredients take them off and make your simple omelette the way its perfect for you.
The could be times when you try to make omelette and unable to come out with the perfect one, you dont need to give up on trying, even sometimes I make imperfect omelette though, I have realise that the perfection only comes when you keep trying out on more omelettes, if you have tried making omelette and it didnt come out successfully, cook more and you may get it right the next time. If you prefer baked omelette maybe for health reason, go ahead and prepare that in your oven, its simple and fast to make. If you are adding things like mushroom, cheese or bacon to your omelette, it is important you rewarm them before doing that because if you add these to your omelette to cook, the cook time might be too short for them to cook properly, as omelette can be prepared within just 5 minutes or less.
Omelette is one of those fastest breakfasts you can make within 5 minutes to pair with custard or bread and tea. Instant noodles or spaghetti are another great combinations for egg omelette, it is simple and fun to make. The different vegetables add to it crunchiness and texture. This is also a great choice for dinner, especially if you are leaving in the coldest part of the countrylike I am, and really dont want to eat much heavy food to go to bed on a particular day, just make this easy omelette and enjoy it with hot tea or coffee, while you tuck yourself into your thick blanket. Your dreams will be so angelic and fun, I am assuring you.
Table of Contents
How is omelette made?
Omelette (eggs roll) is simply made with eggs. Different green or colourful vegetables can be added to the whisked egg, and then seasoned with salt, pepper, milk (not necessary though) and spicy seasonings. This is usually cooked in a pan by adding small amount of egg mixture and allowing the egg to set in the pan and then rolled up into one side of the pan with a slotted spoon into a mat shape, another thin layer of egg mixture is added into the pan to cover the edges of the rolled egg, and again rolled as it cooks until the whole egg mixture is finished.The essence of doing this is to end up with a large circular scrambled egg which is rolled into rectangular egg or omelette and then cut into smaller sizes. Another way to make omelette is to pour the whole egg mixture into the pan and flip over to the next side to cook and then slide into a serving plate.this second method is the simplest and it’s just straight forward.
Additionally, if you are sensitive to salmonella you can allow your omelette to sit a little bit longer on heat just to be on a safer side. More importantly, butter and vegetables like spinach, kale, green peppers, and tomatoes are usually added to make omelette, but I love adding carrots, spring onions and onions to my omelettes to make it crunchy thereby, giving it some bright colour. Most times I make my omelette with a little milk and green chillies and olive oil, it is best you use your preferred ingredients to make your omelette.
Simple omelette Ingredients include:
- 3 Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 leaf of spring onions, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- teaspoon salt
- seasoning cube (Knorr cube)
- teaspoon red chillies
- 1 table spoon liquid milk, optional
Other things you may need for making omelette are:
- Skillet or frying pan
- Spatula or slotted spoon
Perfect ways make omelette with vegetables.
- Using a fork or hand beat your egg into runny consistency.
- Season the egg with salt, pepper and a pinch of seasoning cube to taste.
- Add chopped carrots, spring onions and onions and whisk to combine
- Grease the frying pan with a little oil and place on heat.
- Scoop one big spoon of egg mixture into the pan and let it set for few seconds before rolling
- Use a spatula to roll the egg cylindrically to one side of the pan. Create a space for the uncooked egg as you roll.
- Scoop more egg to the empty space and very close to the spread out edges of the original rolled, gently tilt the pan to enable the egg mixture spread to the empty space in the pan and let it set for few seconds and fold it cylindrically when it has sets and solidifies.
- Repeat the same process until the egg mixture is finished in the bowl. Wrap the last edge to the centre of the rolled egg and leave it to get cool.
- If you feel the centre of the omelette is not properly cooked, leave the rolled egg to cook in the hot pan while it gets cool.
- Cut the omelette into smaller square sizes and enjoy.
Simple procedures for making omelette with vegetables
- Crack open your eggs into a medium plate. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature and not frozen.
- Using a fork beat the egg into a runny consistency and season with chilli pepper, salt, a pinch of Knorr cube and then whisk to combine.
3. Add the chopped onions, spring onions and carrots and gently stir to combine.
4. Put on heat, grease your pan with a little butter or olive oil and allow it to get hot.
5. When the pan is heated, lower the temperature and use a spoon to scoop the egg mixture into it and tilt the pan and allow it to set in few seconds.
6. Use a spatula to roll egg into a mat shape and shift it to one side of the pan, scoop another mixture into the empty space and let it cover edge of the rolled omelette and leave it set and solidify.
7. Roll the omelette again and pour the last egg mixture in the space left in the frying pan. And when it has become solid, wrap the last edge to the centre of the rolled egg and leave it to get cool while inside the hot pan.
8. Allow the omelette to get cool first before cutting it to prevent it from tearing apart.
9.Transfer into a plate or board and cut it into smaller omelettes and enjoy with chips, bread and tea.
That was a simple way to make omelette, what do you think, do you have more ideas on other egg recipes apart from omelette? You can share with us below. The video below shows how to make egg omelette, you can see for yourself.