There are times when you return home after a stressful day being so tired and confused about what to serve on table for both hubby and kids; at this point, you may think of making foodlike okro and ogbono; egusi, edika-ikong,rice and beans or fried stewwhich we all know that it takes a whole lot of time and extra energy, except you just want to impress the family irrespective of your health then you can go ahead to prepare a time taking meal. If Im to come in here, why waste much of your strength after such stress you went through at work to prepare such food when you can make simple pasta as spaghetti; knowing that tomorrow is another work day and you need to put the house in order before bed time?
Spaghetti is a breakfast, lunch and dinner staple loved by both kids and adults, it is quick and simple to prepare just like macaronior Couscous whether you are taking some to work or grabbing some at home, it is always best to prepare it by yourself instead of buying junk food for the family;
You can fix it up by yourself, in doing this you will be cooking with fresh ingredients especially the vegetables and you have equally saved the money which would have been spent on ‘over-priced, yet not enough for the bellies take away.
Nothing could have been easier and quick than breaking one pack of spaghetti into your pot with these ingredients in just 30 minutes time and you are free to have your rest for the day.
Ingredients for preparing spaghetti
- 1 packet of spaghetti
- 5 plum tomatoes, canned or blended tomato3 table spoons butter or vegetable oil
- Fried chicken, beef, dried fish or can fish
- 1 bulb of onion
- 3 seasoning cubes
- Crayfish (optional)
- Spinach, spring onions or carrots and green beans
- Pepper and salt to taste
Steps on how toprepareSpaghetti
- Start by boiling 2 cups of water on the cooker in a medium pot
- Get your long spiral spaghetti and break them into your desired sizes (I usually break mine into tiny pieces)
- When the water starts to boil, bring the spaghetti into it and cover the pot for about 10 minutes.
4. Since the spaghetti is still in the process of boiling, start by chopping your vegetables, dressing the fish and other ingredients and then keep aside.
5. Check if the spaghetti is soft but not soggy.
6. Take it off the fire and drain excess water ina colander.
7. Meanwhile, drop a dry pot on the fire and heat up your butter or vegetable oil and start by frying the onion followed by tomatoes.
8. Allow the tomatoes to get fried before adding your seasoning cubes, fish and other ingredients.
* Add the drained spaghetti to the content on fire and stir all round till it is well mixed
Note: Since the spaghetti has already been parboiled, there is no need of adding water to the pot anymore, except if you want your spaghetti to become soggy( water logged spaghetti), the tomato sauce is just enough to mix it up
* finally, add the vegetables and stir thoroughly and leave on a low heat to heat up
Note: I always allow my vegetables to be the last additive in every meal to avoid overcooking.
9. Serve your spaghetti as lunch or dinner; Indeed you are a wonderful cook to you family and well done!!!