Ewa agoyin How to Cook Ewa Agoyin Beans (Mashed Beans Recipe)
Ewa Agoyin Bean is a quick and easy beans recipe prepared by mashing cooked beans into smooth paste; this is one of the simplest and popular bean recipes in the Western part of Nigerian which is often sold by street hawkers or Mama put. Ewa agoyin is very delicious even though it looks like baby food; what makes this bean special is its distinct soft and marshy nature (it is soft and smooth on the tongue). The best way to prepare this Yoruba favorite dish is to use a pressure cooker or crockpot to cook the beans overnight while you engage in some other house chores, the cooked beans must be mashed properly until you cant see any whole beans in the pot.
This mashed beans is served with some spicy pepper sauce (ewa agoyin sauce). Any kind of beans such as the honey beans or black-eyed beans can be made use when making this recipe. Watch the video to see how to make a simple mashed beans on the stove top.
Table of Contents
Ewa Agoyin Ingredients
- 3 cups of white beans or honey beans
- Salt to taste
- Enough water to cook the beans
Steps on How to Cook Ewa Agoyin with Pictures
1.Soak beans for few hours to absorb water, rinse beans severally with clean water into a wide pot.
2. Add water to fully cover the beans and place on heat to cook, you can cook this in a pressure cooker.
3. After 20- 30 minutes, check the beans to see if it has soften, add more water to cook if it needs more.
4. When the beans are completely soft, add a little salt to taste, stir and cook for a while for the liquid to reduce.
5.Lower the heat and use a potato masher to mash the beans until you cannot longer find a whole grain of bean in the pot.
6. Leave the beans to cook on low heat for 5 minutes after mashing. Take the mashed beans off heat, scoop the mashed beans into a plate and spread it out; pour Ewa Agoyin Stew over the beans and enjoy.