Rice pudding is a thick creamy rice recipe made with cooked rice together with some other ingredients like water, condensed milk and vanilla extract; this creamy rice can be prepared in various ways such as the boiling method or the baking method; in this case, we have the baked rice pudding and the boiled or stovetop rice pudding. The above simple rice pudding can be enjoyed as dessert, breakfast or as dinner. Rice pudding is also a very nutritious food for babies and it is not so complex to make however, it is almost similar to custard recipe, pap and oatmeal recipe. There are different versions of rice puddings found in nearly every area of the world, and these varieties depend on the method of preparation and the selected ingredients used in their preparations.
This rice pudding can be prepared by boiling or baked depending on ones choice; another version of rice pudding is kunu shinkafa or kunu rice which is very common in Nigeria. However, there is what we called the Nigerian rice Pudding, it is prepared with arboria rice and peanut/groundnut milk. This particular rice pudding is mostly eaten as street food and it is often served with akara or moi mio (beans cake) and most time with bread.
The above rice pudding can be enjoyed with coconut flakes or dates, but many people prefer their pudding with raisins or just milk. Sticky rice, Risotto rice or Arborio (tuwo rice) is often considered as the best rice for rice pudding, hence, normal short grain rice can be used to make this pudding as long as it is properly cooked and soften, some sweeteners that can used in rice pudding include sugar,brown sugar,honey,sweetened condensed milk,dates,fruitsor syrups. Feel free to use any; if you are diabetic, you may need to stay away from condensed milk, as it is very sweet, you can substitute that with coconut milk, and if you like your rice pudding with no egg, you can replace the egg with lemon rind or just make it with just milk, it tastes good too.
Table of Contents
Rice pudding ingredients
- cup of arborio rice, white rice or basmati rice
- 1 cup of milk, (whole milk,coconut milk,creamorevaporated milk)
- 1/3 cup of white sugar
- 1 big egg, whisked
- Two cups of water to cook the rice
- 1/3 cup of raisins or cashew nuts
- teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
Directions for preparing creamy rice pudding
- Add two cups of water in a saucepan or pot and bring to a boil, bring in Arborio rice into it.
- Once the rice has cooked for 5 minutes, add water to rinse out excess starch.
- Place saucepan on heat, add 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Bring the rice into the boiling water, cover the lid and reduce heat to low, and let it simmer for 20 minutes until it become soft.
- Add coconut milk or any milk into it into the rice, reduce the heat and stir the rice from time to time prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the rice has become creamy, whisk together egg and sugar in a mixing bowl until well mixed, add the egg mixture to the rice and stir, and leave it to simmer on a low heat until everything becomes absorbed in the rice and it is thickened.
- When you have completely mixed everything and you like the consistency, take off the rice pudding off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Sprinkle your rice pudding with cinnamon, stir in vanilla extract and enjoy.
Easy steps formaking creamyrice pudding with pictures
1. Add two cups of water in a saucepan or pot and bring it to a boil, add in Arborio rice or whatever rice you are using.
2. Once the rice has cooked for 5 minutes, add cold water to it and rinse out excess starch.
3. Place a saucepan on heat, add 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
4. Bring the precooked rice into the boiling water, cover the lid, reduce the heat to medium-low, and let it simmer for 20 minutes or until it becomes soft.
5. Add coconut milk or your preferred milk into the content, reduce the heat and stir the rice from time to time prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
6. Once the rice has become creamy, whisk together egg and sugar in a mixing bowl until they are well mixed, add the egg mixture to the rice and stir, then leave it to simmer on a low heat until everything becomes absorbed in the rice. Be careful not to leave the pudding on a high heat at this point or it will curdle.
7. When you have completely mixed everything and you are happy with the consistency, take off the rice pudding off the stove and allow it to cool for few minutes.
When you have completely mixed everything and you are happy with the consistency, take off the rice pudding off the stove and allow it to cool for few minutes.
Watch the above vidoe on how to make creamy rice pudding.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.