Scones are a type of bread that originated from Scotland; these English scones are similar to American Biscuits. They are usually eaten with jam or butter. Today I will show you how to make scones that you can enjoy with tea or coffee.
I will be making my easy scones recipe with buttermilk to make them moist and soft.
Table of Contents
- 2 and a half cups of Flour. The type of flour you use depends on the type of scones recipe you want to make. For a simple gluten free scone recipe, you can use any gluten-free flour you like such as cornflour (cornstarch), almond flour, or potato starch.
- 80 grams of Butter
- 200ml Buttermilk. You can use milk or cream.
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder and 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 of white granulated sugar and 1 large Egg.
How to Make Scones
- Add the flour into a bowl then add salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Bring in the butter and use your hands to mix the butter and flour until you have a crumbly flour mixture.
- In another bowl, add 1 egg and buttermilk and whisk to mix.
- Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the crumbly flour.
- Mix everything together to form a dough. Do not overwork the dough.
- Transfer to a flour-dusted surface and use a rolling pin to flatten it to be 1 inch thick at least.
- Now use a biscuit cutter, cookies cutter, or the scones cutter. If you don’t have any of these cutters, simply look for any rounded item and use it to cut your scones.
- Transfer the cut-out scone dough into a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Break another 1 egg into a container, add a tablespoon of water to it and use it to glaze the top of the cut-out dough; use a pastry brush for this.
- Preheat your oven temp at 180 degrees and bake it for 20 minutes.
This was how to make the best scones recipe easily at home. You can enjoy it with honey, jam, or butter as toppings. It is usually eaten with tea or coffee.
Lemon, strawberry, cranberry, pumpkin, and many other fruits can be added to the dough before baking.