A chocolate ganache recipe is very easy to make at home for your cake frosting, icing, or glazing. I will show you how to easily make chocolate ganache at home without cream, but with cocoa powder and butter; you don’t even need cocoa butter or chocolate to make this recipe. Ganache is also known as icing or glaze.
Table of Contents
What is Ganache?
A Ganache is a glaze, icing, or frosting made with chocolate or cocoa powder and used for cake decorations/frostings on doughnuts. Chocolate ganache is also known as chocolate icing, chocolate sauce, or chocolate glaze. It is also used as a filling for pastries.
Ingredients for making Chocolate Ganache Recipe with Cocoa Powder and without cream
- 3 Tablespoons of Cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- A pinch of salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
How to Make Ganache with Chocolate or Cocoa powder
- Add all the powdered ingredients: corn flour, cocoa powder, milk, granulated sugar, and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine completely
- Start adding fresh milk to the powdered mixture, a little at a time, and keep stirring as you add the milk until you have a runny batter.
- Put a pan or pot on low heat and pour your chocolate mixture into it and start stirring.
- Stir continuously to prevent forming lumps or balls in the chocolate ganache.
- When it starts to thicken up, lower the heat further and add butter and vanilla; continue stirring until the butter melts and blends.
- Cook further to thicken up a bit but not too thick because chocolate ganache becomes thick as it cools. When you make it too thick, you end up making chocolate instead of ganache. If your consistency is thick, you can reduce it by adding fresh liquid milk, a little at a time until you have the consistency you want.
- When your chocolate icing forms balls or lumps when cooking it on the heat, you can turn off the heat or lower it and use a spatula to mash them until you have a smooth chocolate icing for glazing your cakes or doughnuts.
If you want to make a hardened chocolate ganache, then you need cocoa butter instead of butter and you add more cocoa powder and make it thicken on the heat before allowing it to cool down. You need to use it within a short time or else it will harden and cannot be used as a drip or glaze again.
Uses in baking recipes
A ganache is simply a glaze or an icing used for making a covering or glaze on cakes such as drip cakes and also glazing of donuts or cupcakes. It is also used in making macarons, truffles, pies, or tarts.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.