Chicken curry or curried chicken (curry chicken) is an easy stew recipe that originated from the Indian subcontinent. This stew recipe is made with chicken and tomato-based sauce; the chicken curry sauce is seasoned and flavored with ingredients such as onions, ginger, garlic, chili pepper, and the main spice known as curry powder. The curry powder consists in itself is made up of many other spices including coriander, turmeric powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. So I will be showing you how to make this delicious and easy chicken curry recipe.
- 800 grams of bone-in Chicken, cut into medium sizes.
- 2 tsp of Curry Powder
- 4 crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tsp of crushed scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 minced Garlic cloves
- 2 tsp of grated Ginger
- 1/3 cup of cooking oil
- 2 chopped Onions
- 1/4 tsp of Chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/4 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 cup of finely chopped red and green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley
- 1 cup of coconut cream or heavy cream. This helps to thicken the chicken curry.
- 1/2 tsp of salt to taste
- 2 crushed beef bouillon cubes
How to Make Chicken Curry
Marinating the Chicken
- Start by marinating the chicken. In a mixing bowl containing the chicken, add 3 minced garlic cloves, and 1/2 tsp of grated ginger. Also, add 1 tsp of the crushed scotched bonnet pepper, 1 tsp of curry powder, 1 chopped onion, 1 cup of finely chopped red and green bell peppers, 2 tbsp of chopped parsley, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 2 crushed bouillon cubes.
- Now, mix the chicken and the marinating ingredients together then use plastic wrap to cover and marinate the chicken for at least 3 hours. You can also marinate the chicken overnight; the longer it stays, the more the flavor and taste of the chicken.
Stir-frying the chicken curry
- After marinating the chicken, place a pot on heat and add 1/3 cup of cooking oil to it. Once the oil is heated, add 1 cup of chopped onion and saute until the onions are golden brown.
- Once the onions are golden brown, add 1 tsp of grated ginger, 2 minced garlic, and 4 crushed tomatoes. Stir and cook for 3 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Season with 1/4 tsp of dried thyme, 1 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 tsp of chili flakes, and 1/4 tsp of salt. Stir to combine and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Then, go in with the marinated chicken and the marinade altogether. Stir to combine nicely and then cook on high heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add 1/2 tsp of chili powder and 1 cup of coconut cream or heavy cream. The coconut cream or heavy cream helps to thicken the chicken curry and also gives it a creamy consistency. You can also use coconut milk to achieve the same creamy consistency.
Your easy homemade chicken curry recipe is ready. Chicken curry is usually paired with rice. If you don’t want your chicken curry to taste sour, you can see some tips on how to get rid of the sour taste from stew (curry) here.
The parsley, spices, onions, garlic, and ginger help to add more flavor t your curried chicken recipe.