Bechamel sauce recipe which is also known as the white sauce is a French sauce recipe made with flour, butter, and milk. It is a simple sauce that goes well with pasta, bbq chicken, pizza, and Lasagne.
Making bechamel sauce is as easy as making any other basic sauce recipe, it requires very few and common ingredients and you don’t have to freak out when trying out this easy sauce recipe for the first time. You can make this white sauce recipe without any single lump in it, this is quite easy to do, and only if you carefully follow the steps listed down below.
Some simple ingredients like garlic and parmesan cheese can be added to your white sauce recipe if you want to tailor it to your own taste. I love this basic white sauce recipe, it tastes delicious.
Bechamel sauce makes a great sauce for your fish tacos, bbq chicken, lasagna, spaghetti, pizza, or chicken enchiladas. It can even save as a base for other sauces such as Mornay sauce when made with cheese. Below is a video on how to make this sauce.
Table of Contents
Bechamel sauce Ingredients
- All-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons
- 1 Bay leaf
- Half onion bulb
- 2 cloves,
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons
- 500 ml of fresh organic liquid milk
- Ground nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon
How to make Bechamel (white) sauce
- Place a saucepan or skillet on the stovetop and add some butter to it and allow it to melt.
- Stir in all-purpose flour, mix very well until it dissolves. You can use any type of flour you love: cornflour, all-purpose flour, or potato flour.
- Once the flour has dissolved, gently add in your milk or cream a little at a time and stir continuously. This will prevent lumps or balls from forming.
- Stir the sauce until the whole flour is totally dissolved then allow to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- After cooking for 10 minutes, add your onions, cloves, and bay leaf and stir gradually. You can pin the cloves into the onions to make it easier to remove with the onion and bay leaf later.
- When it thickens, add the nutmeg and black pepper to it and stir to combine.
- Allow the sauce to cook again for 10 minutes to thicken up. Remove your onion, bay leaf, and clove; turn off the heat.
- Your delicious bechamel sauce or white sauce is ready, serve it over pasta and enjoy.
- Other varieties of Bechamale sauce include Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, and Alabama white sauce.