Beef patty refers to ground beef that is usually cooked with some vegetables; it is also known as Burger in the UK. Burger in the UK can refer to the cooked beef made in the form of a disc or could also refer to a snack made by adding cooked beef with vegetables and stuffed in a bun or bread roll. The Jamaican beef patties recipe is different from burgers because the ground beef is stuffed in a pastry and can be baked or fried. Jamaican beef patty is similar to the Nigerian meat pie recipe.
The addition of turmeric, curry powder, and glazing the Jamaican beef patties with egg wash gives it a golden color.
Jamaican Beef Patties Recipe
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Curry powder
- 600 grams Ground Beef
- 3 tbsp Shortening
- 3 tbsp Margarine
- ¾ cup Cold Milk
- 1 small Egg
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Green seasoning
- ¼ cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp All-purpose Seasoning
- 1 cube Beef Bouillon Cube
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 large Garlic cloves minced
- 1 large Carrot chopped
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 large Scotch bonnets chopped
- 1 large Green Bell Peppers chopped
- ¼ cup Spring Onions (or Scallions) chopped
- 1 tbsp Browning
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
Making the Dough
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl
- Season with turmeric powder, baking powder, curry powder, salt, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Cut the shortening into the flour together with frozen margarine.
- Use your hands to mix until the flour becomes crumbly and yellow in color.
- Add chilled milk, a little at a time. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Cover the dough with cling film and rest it in the fridge for 30 minutes
Prepare the Beef Patties Filling
- Season your ground beef with all-purpose seasoning, green seasoning, black pepper, beef bouillon cube (crushed), and salt. Mix to combine.
- Detach the leaves from the sprigs of the fresh thyme; cut them into smaller pieces. Also, chopped other vegetables into small pieces.
- Place a medium pan on the stovetop and add 2 tbsp of oil. Allow the oil to heat up and then go in with chopped onions and garlic. Saute until fragrant and translucent. Add the remaining vegetables and stir fry until they are wilted.
- Add the seasoned ground beef and stir fry with the vegetables until the beef is no longer pink in color. Remember to mash or break the lumps of the meat as it cooks to prevent lumps from forming.
- Go in with the browning and ketchup; add some water to it to help in cooking the beef to become soft. Cover the pot and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the beef - this helps to absorb the remaining liquid in the filling, preventing the beef patties from becoming soggy. Too much water causes the Jamaican beef patties to be soggy. Cover and cook for another 2 minutes then turn off the heat and allow it to cool down.
Work on your dough and roll it out several times
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into small sizes that you can roll easily
- Roll the dough into a flat shape.
- Spread some shortening over it.
- Trim the edges of the rolled dough so that you have a rectangular shape.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal sizes and then work with only one at a time.
- Scoop the filling onto the surface of the cut-out dough. Fold over one end of the dough over the other end with the filling stuffed inside.
- Use a fork and press against the edges to help stick them together and also create a stripe design over the beef patties.
- Transfer the fresh patty into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat the process until you are done with the whole dough and fillings.
- Make an egg wash with 1 egg and 1 tbsp of water, whisk to combine, and then use a pastry brush to glaze the surface of the patties before baking. Bake the Jamaican beef patties in a preheated oven at a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- Your easy Jamaican beef patty is ready!
Nutrition and Calories
A serving of Jamaican beef patty contains about 370 calories; 24 grams of carbs, and about 11.9 grams of protein. Total fats of 25 grams. It is also high in sodium.