Orange Chicken is an easy chicken recipe made by first making a marinade for your chicken parts and then frying the coated chicken, after that, an orange chicken sauce is then prepared and stir-fried with the fried chicken parts. Today, I will show you how to make orange chicken recipe at home. This chicken recipe is common in America but said to have been a Chinese recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Orange Chicken?
It is glazed chicken parts in a marinade made by mixing vinegar, egg, and water. The marinated chicken parts are then fried and also stir fry in a sauce made with sweet orange and a few ingredients.
- Boneless Chicken Parts
- 2 Fresh Organic Sweet Oranges
- 3 tablespoons of Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of White Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Black pepper and 1/3 teaspoon of Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 4 tablespoons of Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced Ginger and Garlic
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (optional)
- An Egg
- 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of Onion Powder
How to Make Orange Chicken at Home
A) Making the Chicken Marinade
- Into a mixing bowl add cornflour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, onion powder, soy sauce, black pepper, and egg; then mix with water to form a paste.
- Bring in the chicken parts into the marinade and mix to coat with the chicken parts.
- Place a pan on the heat and allow it to heat up, then bring in the marinated chicken into it and fry.
- When the chicken is fried, remove it from the heat and drain on a paper towel.
B) Making the Chicken Sauce
- Grate the back of your sweet orange to form orange zest. You need 1 teaspoon.
- Extract the juice from the sweet orange.
- Place a pan on the heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the minced ginger, garlic, red chili flakes, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Also, add the orange juice and the orange zest.
- Dissolve 1 tablespoon of cornflour and add to the mixture. Allow cooking while stirring until it thickens up.
- Add 4 tablespoons of honey and stir to combine.
- Now bring in the fried chicken parts and stir fry in the orange chicken sauce while ensuring they are coated with the sauce.
- Cook for 4 minutes and turn off the heat. Your easy homemade orange chicken recipe is ready.
It can be served with parboiled white rice or eaten as it is.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.