Table of Contents
- What is Izal?
- Uses of Izal Germicide
- Chemicals Needed For The Production of Izal
- Precautions in the making of Germicide
- The production process for making Izal disinfectant
What is Izal?
Izal is a Germicide that serves as an important cleansing substance that helps to destroy bacteria and germs which cause infection and illness to man and even animals. A germicide is a chemical substance that is capable of killing germs such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, or protozoans. It is capable of killing many microorganisms.
Uses of Izal Germicide
Germicide such as Izal is a very important disinfectant product in our Homes, Hospitals, Eateries, Schools, Restaurants, and Hotels.
Izal is used for cleaning the floor, toilet, bathroom, kitchen counter, or slabs, and tiles. It is very easy to make and doesn’t cost much and doesn’t consume much time nor does it consume energy. Once you put down your head to learn and know it perfectly, you can generate a reasonable income from it especially in an area where there is a lack of job opportunities.
You can stand out as an employer creating jobs for others to benefit from and you can start your own medium enterprise by learning how to make germicides like Izal and Dettol.
For this business to be legal and official, you can register with NAFDAC or your country’s Food And Drug Agency and also upgrade your medium business by branding your bottles or containers with your business name or logo.
Chemicals Needed For The Production of Izal
The chemicals for making Dettol, Izal, or any disinfectant can be gotten from any Chemical store across the country. They are cheap and can be used for making your desired Dettol or Izal or any disinfectant.
Description of each chemical in Izal germicide making
This liquid is commonly available in grocery stores. It is a powerful germicide, and the liquid may look light pink or yellow in color.
It is chemically known as Sodium Laureth sulfate that may be sold in the form of a white powder or crystal and commonly used also in making detergents (Omo, Klin, Ariel). It is also used in making soaps or shampoo. Texapon cause damage to the airways when inhaled and can irritate the skin and eyes when in contact with these surfaces.
This is a highly corrosive acid that is very toxic. It can cause corrosion of the airways when the vapor is inhaled. Contact with the skin causes burns.
A liquid concentrate that is pinkish in color but very irritating when in contact with the skin.
It is an essential oil that is highly concentrated and extracted from the pine tree and is the main ingredient that gives Izal its germicidal or disinfectant effect. It is also used for the same purpose in making other disinfectants or germicides.
This is a milky liquid that enhances the effect of other ingredients in Izal.
White Binder or Whitener
A powdery substance that binds other chemicals and makes the mixture appear whitish.
This is a yellowish or clear liquid that has a disinfectant effect and potentiates the germicidal effect of Izal together with pine oil. Phenol is corrosive to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract.
Quantities of Izal ingredients for making 5 liters of the Germicide
- 2 grams of Texapon (1 cup)
- 140 ml of Phenol (1 cup)
- 135 ml of Lysol liquid (1 cup)
- 100 ml of Pine oil – (1/2 cup)
- 140 ml of Izal Concentrate (1 cup)
- 5 grams of White binder – 1 cup
- 140 ml of Carbolic acid – 1 cup
- 135ml of Izal Booster – 1 cup
- Water should be 4 liters
Note: your measurement should be dependent on the quantity of Izal you want to make. For instance, the measurement above is just for 5 liters of Izal however, you can increase the measurement proportionately if you want a larger quantity of Izal.
Precautions in the making of Germicide
- Always use protective wears: the chemicals for making Izal are harmful to humans and spillage into the eyes or inhalation into the lungs can cause severe damage. Therefore, there is a need for eye goggles and nose masks as well as the use of plastic hand gloves to protect the hands against corrosion or irritation.
- Asthmatics or people with respiratory allergies should not be involved in this process: since these chemicals can irritate the airways, people with respiratory problems should not be involved as even the use of a nose mask does not totally prevent complete irritation.
- The mixing of chemicals and the production process should be in a well-ventilated area. when you begin to combine the izal ingredients, a lot of fumes will be produced, hence the process should be carried out in a large space with good ventilation.
- Germicide chemicals are highly flammable: avoid making Izal near heat or flames as the ingredients are highly flammable.
- Children should not be around you to avoid burns. All chemicals should be placed out of reach of children.
The production process for making Izal disinfectant
Always ensure the chemicals you are buying are genuine. It is worthy of note that from the start of the production process, always continuously stir the ingredients until you finish. This ensures all chemicals react appropriately.
Steps involved in Izal germicide making
- First, dissolve the 2 grams of texapon in 4 liters of water in a plastic container and then stir until texapon is completely dissolved. It is normal for this mixture to become frothy.
- Now add the 140 ml of Phenol to the mixture and continuously stir
- Add 100ml of pine oil and then stir it gently and properly to avoid splashing on you as pine oil is concentrated.
- You can then add 135 ml of Lysol and stir also
- Add about 200 ml of the Izal Booster and keep stirring. Your mixture will still be frothy, so don’t be scared.
- Pour 2 liters of water to it
- Dilute the 140 ml of carbolic acid and the 5 grams of the white binder (or whitener or white spirit) with a little water and add it to the other content and stir.
- Add 140 ml of the Izal concentrate and stir very well
- Use a strainer or sieve of the desired size to filter the formed Izal before storage
- Your Izal Germicide is ready for both household use or for sale.
Dr. Brown is the founder of Jotscroll, he is a Medical Doctor, Entrepreneur, and author. Dr. Razi Brown holds a medical degree from the University of San Diego. He has invested in many startups and is currently working on his fifth book to be published in the upcoming year.