What is the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
Differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes as organisms exist and would be considered as well as their differences at the cellular level (that is, the differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells at the level of the cell).
Difference between prokaryotes and eukaryotes organisms
- Prokaryotes lack a nucleus while eukaryotes have nuclei surrounded by a nuclear membrane
- Prokaryotes lack membrane-bound organelles while Eukaryotes have membrane-bound organelles
- Prokaryotes are mainly single-celled organisms while Eukaryotes may be single-celled organisms or multicellular organisms
- Prokaryotes examples include bacteria, cyanobacteria, and archaea while Eukaryotes examples include plant cells, animal cells, and fungi
Differences between Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
- The flagella of prokaryotes are rigid while that of eukaryotes are flexible.
- Prokaryotic cells lack a nucleus while Eukaryotic cells have nuclei.
- Prokaryotic cells divide by binary fission while Eukaryotic cells divide by meiosis and mitosis.
- Prokaryotic cells are relatively smaller than Eukaryotic cells which are larger.
- Prokaryotic cells structures are simple while the structure of Eukaryotic cells is complex with many organelles and parts to support the cell.
- Eukaryotic cells have complex helical DNA in chromosomes while prokaryotic DNA is simple and circular.
- The cell wall of prokaryotic cells is made up of peptidoglycan while that of Eukaryotic cells is made up of glycoproteins and lipids, cellulose, chitin, or lignin.
- The endoplasmic reticulum is not present in prokaryotic cells while it is present in eukaryotic cells.
- Prokaryotic cells have 70S ribosomes while Eukaryotic cells may have both 70S and 80S subunits.
- Prokaryotic cells have no Golgi apparatus, lysosomes, and mitochondria
- RNA and protein synthesis occurs in the same compartment in Prokaryotes but in different compartments in Eukaryotes.
- Prokaryotic cells have smaller circular pieces of DNA called plasmids spread throughout the cell.
- Eukaryotic cells are thought to have originated from Prokaryotic cells.