Teriyaki Chicken Recipe is an easy Japanese chicken recipe in which the chicken is cooked and eaten with Teriyaki sauce. Teriyaki chicken can be grilled, stir-fried, roasted, or baked. The method of preparing the chicken depends on you, which is then eaten with the teriyaki sauce. A similar recipe known as the teriyaki beef can be made with beef and the teriyaki sauce.
- 500 grams of boneless chicken breast. You can use chicken thigh, chicken wings, or any part you like.
- 1 tbsp of Honey. The honey gives a glaze to the Teriyaki chicken.
- 1/4 cup of Soy Sauce. You can use light soy sauce to reduce the amount of sodium in the teriyaki chicken sauce.
- 3 tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1 and a half tbsp of rice wine vinegar (or you can use sake drink or any white wine).
- 3 minced garlic cloves and 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp of red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp of Brown sugar
- 1 and a half tsp of corn flour ( cornstarch). This helps to thicken the teriyaki sauce.
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken
You can decide to make a marinade and use it to marinate the chicken for some hours or overnight before you grill, bake, or stir fry. I am marinating because it takes a long time. If you have the time, you can first marinate the chicken because the ingredients get absorbed by the chicken, making it tasty and delicious.
Making Teriyaki Sauce
In a mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, honey, 1 tbsp of sesame oil, ginger, and garlic cloves. Stir to combine. Also, add the red chili flakes, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, and brown sugar and mix to combine.
Stir-frying the Chicken
- Place a pan on heat and add 2 tbsp of sesame oil to it. Allow it to heat up.
- Now, transfer the chicken pieces into the heated oil.
- Stir fry the chicken for ten minutes on each side. First, stir fry one side and then turn over to the other side and stir fry as well until both sides are evenly brown.
- As the chicken is being stir-fried, season with some salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper powder to give it a nice taste.
Cooking the teriyaki chicken
- Once the chicken is cooked, reduce the heat to low and then pour in the sauce you prepared earlier.
- Stir to coat with the stir-fried chicken
- Continuously stir it until the sauce thickens and the chicken cooks through then turn off the heat.
- Your easy teriyaki chicken recipe is ready. It usually served with boiled rice, fried rice, and vegetables. You can steam some broccoli and add it to the teriyaki chicken recipe. fried rice
You can garnish it with sesame seeds and some fresh chopped green onions.
A serving has about 492 calories, 22 grams of carbs, and 27 grams of protein. It also contains 31 grams of fats, 144 mg of cholesterol, 640 mg of sodium, and 640 mg of potassium. Other nutrients are 710 IU of vitamin A and 82mg vitamin C, and also 69mg of calcium, and 2 milligrams of iron.
Some frequently asked questions
What is chicken teriyaki made of?
Chicken teriyaki is made of soy sauce, mirin (or sake) which are the alcoholic beverages that we substituted with rice wine vinegar, some sugar, and ginger. The chicken is marinated in these main ingredients. Other ingredients or condiments are added to improve the taste.
Is teriyaki chicken healthy for you?
Teriyaki should be eaten in moderation because it is not healthy due to the high calories, sodium, and fats.
What goes well with teriyaki chicken?
Teriyaki goes well with rice (which can be boiled or fried rice) and some vegetables such as red onions, zucchini, carrots, and broccoli.